Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
    Post Thanks / Like

Help with non-existent pattern

I didn't want to post this in the pattern request forum since the pattern does not exist, so bear with me and if I posted this in the wrong section - I am sorry! Getting to the point, I want to make a crocheted ukulele bag. I'm going to line it with some nice fabric and probably put some batting between the yarn and lining to make it nice and soft. The problem is there are no actual crochet patterns for a ukulele bag, but no big deal since I don't usually go with patterns anyway.

What I want is some advice on what I've come up with so far and any suggestions on how to make it work better. I basically want to start with a circle - much like you would with doilies or hats. Then I'll expand that to the biggest part of the ukulele (that I don't actually have yet, I'm planning for the future) and once it's large enough start adding on rows but only to one part of the circle, decreasing to fit the fretboard.
    Last edited by AmberMuffinz; 01-09-2013 at 09:37 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like you are off to a great start. I am impressed by your diagram and explanation. This is such a wonderful thing - to start off with an idea and run with it! I am curious to hear input from others as well!

Post Thanks / Like
    Your thoughts are very organized....I wouldn't worry about the zipper just yet....I would start off with what you said the middle circle....and when you do the 'arm' just do it like the bottom of a bag w/o out going in the oval....back and forth.....hope that makes sense and happy crocheting.

Post Thanks / Like
    wow!! I'm impressed. I have no idea how to help but you are impressive.

5. Likes billiebob, Anaisa liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks everyone. I have a whole folder of "ideas" for lots of sewing projects as well haha. It's so much easier for me to write it all down in paint and draw little diagrams since I tend to forget important things. Now I just have to figure out what yarn I want to use and how much it's gonna take!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AmberMuffinz View Post
    Thanks everyone. I have a whole folder of "ideas" for lots of sewing projects as well haha. It's so much easier for me to write it all down in paint and draw little diagrams since I tend to forget important things. Now I just have to figure out what yarn I want to use and how much it's gonna take!
    wow very creative, looks good to me. sorry i can't give any advice, but i can give encouragement, nice job.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes! I agree you are off to a good start! The work you have already put into this is very impressive!! I can't advise on design just yet, but I will be thinking about it! For closure, a couple of things did pop in my wee brain....instead of a zipper, maybe some loops and buttons, ribbon like ties or maybe velcro. Instructions for adding a zipper to crochet bags/purse liners is not hard to find when you get to that point though.

9. Likes AmberMuffinz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have tooooons of buttons (I hope I'm not the only one LOL) so I could probably easily make some cute matching straps or button loops! I have lots of zippers too so I'm not sure yet. That is a good point though, I don't HAVE to use a zipper. I don't want to use velcro though so now I shall just have to decide between buttons, zippers, and if buttons how long the straps should be - or if they should be just small loops. The strap closure would add cuteness I think! Good thing the closure type is not going to be an issue until I get to the end of the project though, lots of time to consider.

Thinking about it, buttons may be a better option anyway. If I put in a zipper I would want to make the lining cover the zipper from the inside so it doesn't scratch my ukulele. Buttons / straps would avoid that issue and if I made them well enough it shouldn't open up when I don't want it too. Hmm, lots to consider here!

eta: Oh I almost forgot! I'm also going to add a pocket to the front, but that's very simple and shouldn't be difficult to do at all. I just added it to my pattern idea original picture so I remember to do that. It'll be closed with two buttons.
    Last edited by AmberMuffinz; 01-07-2013 at 12:57 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Zipper scratching would be my worry too. If you decide on a zipper, maybe a nylon would not be as bad. I also have lots and lots of buttons! LOL I have been known to remove them before tossing a garment out! I've even purchased some just cause I thought they were pretty! You can change the whole look of a garment by just changing the buttons!!

I have to say... I love the picture of your Tiel! Birds are my thing. I have 4 boys myself.

12. Likes AmberMuffinz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm pretty sure the zipper idea is scrapped! Haha. Thank you. There are lots of closure ideas though but I may just stick with either buttons or those black clasps you have to push to open. Or maybe some other clasps that you have to push to open. And yes, I have taken off buttons before throwing stuff out before too haha!

And thank you, he's my baby. I have two others as well (another 'tiel and a green cheek.) I'd love to see pics of your birds sometime!