Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Post Thanks / Like

Question on Afghan I have started

I am doing a afghan (geometric tweed blanket) that is calling for 2 different motifs of approx. 8 inch each. I have finished about 5 of the Motif A and decided to do 5 of the B and start putting it together)(getting tired of bobbling!). Anyway when I was reading the instructions for the Motif B; I was fine until I got to #8 which reads: Edging: (RS). Join A with sl st in any corner. Ch 1. 3 sc in same sp. Work sc evenly around outer edge, working 3 sc in each corner. Join to first sc. Fasten off. Well this is all very straight forward and easy to understand, my question is, should I have done this on my Motif A as well as doing on B? I would think so but has caught me off guard since they didn't say anything about edging it in A's instructions. If you like you can see the whole pattern here:
    Geometric Tweed Blanket | FaveCrafts.com

This is the first time I have done anything with blocks so really not sure what the standard is Thanks for any help you can give!

2. Likes Trenarah liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Edgings should be done only when all the blocks are joined together and the blanket is complete. I would not try to edge each square. Edges need to be done in one continual round. They help straighten edges and can hide wobbles

Kay

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Kay, they showed the edging only on the B motif (anyway, that is what they called it) And looks like I will be doing a finishing of SC around the afghan when I am done twice. I'm getting a little nervous about this now, I just started by B motif and it is about an inch bigger than my A (and that is w/o their "edging"). Hopefully this will balance out. Glad I decided to put my first two rows together instead of doing all the motifs first :P

Post Thanks / Like
    Well shoot I wish I could read the whole pattern. They may have an edging for each motiff but usually its just called a round and not an edging. And edging is normally for the entire blanket but now I am not so sure.

6. Likes rosieh20 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh okay now I can see the instructions. The first time it did that dang ad over it.

I will correct myself. Yes you do crochet an edging on motiff B. Its an odd way to say it as like I said its normally just called a row. I would NOT do the edging on A as it has more rounds or rows than B. This should make the two match up and both measure 8"

Kay

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a link for the pattern; There is also a pic and I was just studying it and I think I will be okay because I don't think the squares are the same size, they are staggered.

Geometric Tweed Blanket | FaveCrafts.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay thanks, but I think B should be bigger. Right now my B is approx. one inch bigger than my A and that is without that "edging" around it....I think it will be blending in with my A motif since the edging and my A motif are the same color, Thanks for the help!!

No edging on Motif A...thanks!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I would put the squares together and measure to look for any size difference, if there is one I would put the border on.

I find myself making adjustments to a lot of patterns, I feel I am the only one who really needs to be satisfied with how it goes together. It is possible to keep the same look and tweak it a little bit.

Let us know how it all works out for you.

Judi G

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Judi, just started the B Motif and will do enough to put two rows together and will let you know! Just that one is soooo much bigger and I am hoping it will work out better in reality than in my mind! When I start putting it together, maybe then It will come together in my mind.

Post Thanks / Like
    I printed out a pattern recently for an afghan only to find out that it wasn't anything like I had expected, even looking at the picture it looked different to me, from the pattern, soooooo I went ahead and made it as I was thinking. Don't know if it's me of the picture, but I am happy with what I am doing. It's a pattern for what looks like a granny stitch in rows rather then in the round as most are.
    Judi G

13. Likes rosieh20 liked this post