Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4

Post Thanks / Like

Need help with lining purse strap

I crocheted a shoulder bag for a college student and lined the bag, but did not think about the weight that would be put into the bag, so now the strap is stretching! The strap is crocheted about 2 1/2 inches wide x 30 inches long. The bag is black and red with a black strap. The lining is done in the college colors. What advice do you have for lining the strap? Would a solid black fabric look best and if so what fabric is best? Thank you so much for any input!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Joyce! I think you should line it with black. What kind of material did you use to line the rest?? That same type of material probably be the best! I have found if you crochet the strap lengthwise instead of withwise it doesn't stretch as much!! And starting with a chainless foundation helps too!

3. Likes Anaisa, GrammaJoe, Magnolia Blossom liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great ideas Maryjane! Thanks for sharing!

Post Thanks / Like
    I made a 'grocery' bag and I stuffed the handles w/ mating....I don't think you can do that since it's already made...but what about making something for just the shoulder part? I don't think I am explaining myself well, but hopefully you get the jest of it...

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you so much for your input! The strap was crocheted widthwise; I will remember to crochet lengthwise next time. The lining is cotton which I prewashed before using it to line the bag. I think black is the best choice for the lining. Thanks again!

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe next time use heavy cording or some kind of flat strapping material for in the middle/inside of your handle?

Post Thanks / Like
    GrammaJoe, that is a wonderful idea! Thank you!

9. Likes GrammaJoe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    good morning, I would use bias tape. It will stretch a little wich you want so it doesn't tare. If you use the same material you lined it with make sure you cut strip on the bias. Thats why I sugested the tape thats already made. I hope you can make sence out of this my spelling is awful.!
    Billie

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you billiebob. I just read your suggestion and think I will try the bias tape!

Post Thanks / Like
    I just crocheted a very largo Hobo bag. I'm lining the purse with prewashed cotton broadcloth. I'm using two large ropes loosly stitched together, then covered with the same lining cloth and then with the crochet -- maybe this might work for you.