Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  136
Page 1 of 10 123 ... Last

Thread: Bullion Stitch

Post Thanks / Like

Bullion Stitch

Someone asked about the Bullion Stitch that I saw in my new book, so I thought I'd make a new post for it.

I've recently seen it in some of my crochet magazines also. I just googled it to see what you could find on it. Apparently it's also called the roll stitch (or rolled). And there are a couple ways to do it. Basically you wrap your yarn around your hook 7 to 10 times. Either wrap it in the middle of hook where it's larger, or put a sewing needle next to it, so that your wrap is big enough to pull through your yarn. When you pull through have the hook pointing down to make it easier. Then, some people say you should make a chain to lock it, others don't. Apparently either way works.

I've seen it in flowers, it's also good for borders and something else (but now I forget), sorry Mya's up here and she's distracting me a bit. lol (Best kind of distraction ever)! Someone did a row of them, and they looked kind of like the bobble stitch. If you put several in one stitch you get more of a design.

Anyway, seems like the hardest part is getting the hook through at the end. Everyone said it takes some practice getting used to it. I'm not crazy about the bobble stitch, so I'll have to try this. Sometime.......eventually......sson Check it out.

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks for sharing....

3. Likes janie mae liked this post

Jacksonville, Florida, but hate it. BAMA native
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, Joyannerose.
    I was the one who poste about this stitch a bit ago. I've been crocheting over 37 yrs & had never seen it. Now it is popping up all over. The Autumn issue of Crochet! Magazine & in some of the patterns in Heirloom Afghans to Knit & Crochet. The afghan inthat book I want to try is I Never promised You a Rose Garden. The Bullion Stitch in the roses is a 15 loop bullion! From what I've been able to read, this stitch was very popular in Victorian times. Wish me luck as I get my nerve up to make this. Probably mid yr. Others on my calendar until then.
    Big HUGS, Jane

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks for sharing!

6. Likes janie mae liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jamie mae, definitely go for it. You certainly have more than enough experience crocheting to be able to handle it. Seems like the worst part is getting your hook through all those wraps. I would practice using the different techniques you can find, to see what works best for you. Let me know how you make out, and if you want me to look up anything in my book. I'll have to get the” master's” name for you if you want to google her to read about her. It is a pretty stitch, its on my to do list!

8. Likes amanda, justplainjudy, janie mae liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Joyann, when I get started, I may need all the help I can get. It really is pretty though. I've seen pictures of it used in Victorian edgings & the prettiest baby bonnet. I love the Victorian look, so feminine. I appreciate the offerl & will be taking advantage.
    Hugs, Janes

10. Likes amanda liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Several years ago 'Annie Potter' of Annies Attic, came out with books on this with patterns. I bought some. I believe she called it 'crochet on a roll' I found it hard to do so never made anything with it. Pulling it thru all those loops was the hard part. Today on something I was looking at, it said to put like a darning needle or something on your hook to make it easier. I didn't know about that trick back when I was learning it.. Probably much easier with the needle.

12. Likes Judi Gums, justplainjudy, janie mae liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Lawana,
    When you make something from that book you just have to post pictures. I gotta see. This one afghan book I have has at least 2 afghans with the bullion stitch. Promise Her a Rose Garden uses a 15 YO bullion! The roses this makes are beautiful. Blossoming Bullions is a solid background that has 248 "rondels" made of 10 5YObullions worked into a slip knot loop. These look like flowers. They are made 1st, then as you crochet the background, you crochet in the rondels. The edging also has a 10 YO bullion throughout round 2. The Rose Garden says it's for the advanced crocheter. Blossoming Bullions doesn't specify, but I imagine it has the same requirements. The Autumn issue of "Crochet!" Magazine has a feature on the bullion stitch, too. They use it then on a cute, purple shoulder scarf. What they feature is totally different. Using chains, then inserting your hook into each ch & pulling up a lp. They are calling it a double bullion. This confuses me some, my book is saying do one way & magazine another. The stitches really don't look the same, either.

14. Likes jennlee, Trenarah liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Was running out of room. I have decided that if I am working out of the afghan book, I will do the stitch that way. If I decide to make the purple shoulder scarf, I will use the instructions from the magazine. If I run across another project, I will have to hope they are specific in the instructions or go by what the stitch is called. If it is called a Double Bullion, I will use the magazine instructions. If it has a #YO, I will use the
    Instructions like in the afghan book.
    Lawana, does any of the instruction sound like in your book? Please let me know.
    Hugs, Jane

16. Likes justplainjudy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I.m pretty sure I just googled crochet bullion stitch, and I got some videos. It was so much easier to understand it when watching the video. splasher I read to put a needle next to ur hook so ur wrapping around both and have a bigger opening , and something else.. hmmm ..I'll check my masters book in the morning to see what it says, but there is something else they suggested. Mind u, I haven't tried it yet. And there are different rolled stitches. Just saw them th e other day. I'll look at them to o.
    Joy ann

18. Likes justplainjudy, Carynjoyb, janie mae liked this post