Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  20
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Post Thanks / Like

Hours and gift giving

How many hours does everyone spend a day on crocheting? Does everyone make all their Christmas presents with crocheting? What does everyone give as gifts for their presents? This is new to me for giving crochet as gifts and wondering what everyone has done so. All I ever made are afghans; so anything else will be new doing for me. Would love to try different things. I would love to try to make some cloths. Tried a Christmas stuffed moose; but when I stuffed the moose didn't seem to look right was out of portions at parts and didn't look like the picture AT ALL. My husband said he loved it anyways. I guess I'm afraid what I give to someone other than family will not be looking at least half decent I guess I'm trying to say.

Post Thanks / Like
    Even stuffing takes practice. Keep trying. Did you stuff as you go. Don't wait till piece gets toooo far gone. Easier,say, to stuff foot area, then continue crocheting up the leg. Gives you a better shape. Mostly, I try to stuff rather firmly too. Sometimes for dolls, I leave top of shoulder Not stuffed so they lay nicely on body is one tip. Don't be discouraged everybody starts somewhere. Give yourself time!

3. Likes Landon, tammyc77 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think you'll find that as you crochet items someone will say "oh I love that - I want one" and when that happens you'll know that you are giving a gift that someone will like and enjoy. I think any handmade item is appreciated by those who love you and know that you were thinking of them when you were creating it, even if it's not "perfect". I knit/crochet almost every spare second I have :-)

5. Likes Landon liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you both. I just thought maybe it was me with the stuffing. I won't give up. I just have to keep going.

7. Likes Landon, tammyc77 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Some Christmas crochet gifts that I've given: hats, scarves, fingerless gloves and Christmas ornaments. Some were given as sets and my family members simply loved these handmade gifts. Knowing their favorite colors also helped in customizing the gifts!

I also buy gifts for my family. The crocheted gifts are just "real special":made with love.

Kindness begets kindness. Enjoy life!

9. Likes Landon, tammyc77 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. Ive never tried fingerless gloves. Ive seen so many beautiful ones that I would like to try. Also would like to try cloths but never attempted that even. Ive just got to keep picking up my crocheting no matter what. Hard sometimes with four kids.

11. Likes Landon, tammyc77 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, 4 kids can keep you very busy! What are their ages? Do all 4 live with you?
    you will find so much help and friendly and useful advice! I love it here.

As far as gifts, I also make jewellery, so sometimes I gift jewellery. I am new to crocheting, not like an infant, more like a teenager new, LOL This is my first Christmas where I can actually crochet something I am comfortable gifting. I am working on expanding my crochet skills so I can gift more.

The options are truly limitless on what can be made to give away. Just google free crochet patterns, there are kazillions of options!

13. Likes tammyc77 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    You are quite the busy lady Wendye! We have 3 amazing children, they're grown-ups! Enjoy the time with your children as they grow up so fast.

I have made dishcloths, potholders and wash cloths for Mother's Day gifts. I include complementary items that I've bought to create a gift basket/bag. The soon-to-be mommies always love the baby booties and hats that I make for baby showers! I also like to include a bought complementary gift for the baby and mommy-to-be.

Kindness begets kindness. Enjoy life!

15. Likes tammyc77 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Take your time! You are in a good place to learn and we all love to help newbies. Welcome and ask questions.

17. Likes tammyc77 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, forgot to answer your question. I made hats, beanies, scarves, cowls, afghans, necklaces, toy cars, a doll and probably others that I have forgotten. I bought only a very few items. Retirement is fun but money is not very plentiful. Oh yes, a puppy lovie and a sock monkey blanket.

19. Likes tammyc77 liked this post