Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Peggie

Post Thanks / Like

Peggie

Hello Everyone, my name is Peggie, and I have only been crocheting about 4 months. I am a left handed crocheter. I haven't gotten brave enough to try any fancy stitches yet, but I have about 5 different projects started. I have one that I keep adding and loosing stitches, can anyone give me advice on how not to do this?

Post Thanks / Like
    Howdie and welcome; I am a south paw as well...waves w/ her left hand at ya...the advice I can give is it's is very boring but very important in the beginning to count your stitches....and marking them as well, even now I have to do some markings whenever I have larger projects to do...you can mark them w/ a different colour thread, or w/ safety pins and/or those fancy plastic hoops from the craft stores....I stink at math, I sometimes have to count my projects three or four times to get it right....happy crocheting...

3. Likes tammyc77 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for the advice. What is a wondering star?

Post Thanks / Like
    You are most welcomed....have you ever watched Paint your wagon? And the song, I was born under a wondering star?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Peggy - I'm new to crocheting too. I don't have any advice for you, but the people here are just wonderful and I am sure they will share their knowledge with you. You sound like me - I started knitting in January and had 5 projects going within the first month! I have been better with the crocheting - I have actually finished some of the projects. Welcome!!

7. Likes Anaisa, Landon liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, Peggie, and Welcome!!

I am Landon, a newbie to crocheting.
    When you say you are adding and losing stitches, where is that happening? In the piece itself or along the edges? When I first started to crochet, the edges just about drove me nuts. I finally found out what I was doing wrong, I was crocheting into the turning chain and that way, my edges were all uneven.

Can you post a picture of your work so we can see it?

Post Thanks / Like
    hi Peggie! I am Larisa addicted to doilies

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Peggie and welcome! The best advice I can give you is always count!! I've been crocheting for many years and I still count!! So glad you decided to join us!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks so much to all for your advice. I am too ashamed to show my work for the one piece I keep adding and loosing stitches to. I do think it is in the edges when I do the chain and turn around. It's going to be a pillow cover so I'm hoping when I whip stitch the edges I can hide my mistakes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Peggie, honey, I understand where you are coming from. And this pattern you are describing to us is truly common. I did the exact same thing.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2340[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]2341[/ATTACH]

These pics are 2 pieces of my early works that I keep around me to remind me of how far I have come. I think the problem could be with the turning chain it self.
    I am building a blog where I have posted some lessons on exactly this same program. Right now, what I have on there is for right handed crocheters, but I am working on the left handed ones.

f you would, please click on the link in my signature that says come learn creativity with me and you will find information about this problem. Believe me, there is a simple solution!!
    I've been there, Peggie, a lot of us have!!
    Attached Images Attached Images Peggie-crochethumility2-jpg Peggie-crochethumility-jpg 

13. Likes Maryd. liked this post