Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  49
Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last

Post Thanks / Like

Do you knit/crochet LEFT handed or RIGHT handed??

We live in a right-handed world and I have never given that an iota of thought because, although I was born left-handed, I do most tasks except for writing soldering, painting all with my left hand. Everything else I do right handed.

I can use both hands when have needed to not realizing how different it would be to use only one hand instead of the other.

I am putting together a short video tutorial for our member Boopie because she is left handed.

I mistakenly thought Oh, easy peasy, I can whip this out in nothing. I was shocked when I started working on it that what I am used to seeing is foreign to me doing the same tasks as a leftie!!!

Which hand do you use?

Post Thanks / Like
    I am left handed; although I was born in the age that it is wrong/bad to be a lefty, thank goodness my early teachers were not this way. My family was/is, so I play sports w/ my right...ie bat, kick a ball w/ my right....but when I could play tennis, I would serve w/ my right and play w/ my left. It is very hard living in a right handed world...like try getting coffee in the am when your mind tells you to reach w/ your left and the pot handle is to the right...no biggie...well, the sink faucet is in the middle so, yes it is hard...or when I'm cooking and all my pot handles go one way and try asking someone to help for a sec while you run to the loo and come back and everything is backwards and your brain just can't grasp it as the pot boils over. Sure we adapt but some days are harder than others....I had a friend who is a lefty but crochets w/ her right...she just forced herself to learn that way. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that everything should be done for a lefty either...ie try operating hand can opener...but I was in a family that I was considered weak, dumb an invalid because I use my left hand, so I get a little excited sometimes.....

3. Likes Landon, Ladyjojo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I learned how to crochet left handed as my mother taught me and she was left handed but since I'm right handed I converted it over to right handed. Then I bought a book when I got older to learn the different stitches and learned them all right handed. I knit right handed as well.
    Barby Sue
    Be who you are and say what you mean

5. Likes Landon liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm a lefty, never even realized I was different until I was 10 or 11 yrs. old. My family and teachers never made a big deal about it. When my nephew started using his left hand to do things, my mil kept telling him to use his other hand, boy did that make me mad!! I said leave him alone, there's nothing wrong with being left-handed, she just smiled at me like 'poor confused Lisa'.
    People say to me "oh I don't know if I can teach you how to do this because your left-handed, I say just so me how to do it, I'll figure it out myself. My husband gets nervous when he sees a knife in my hand, thinks I'm going to chop my hand off. I say okay dear, you do it

7. Likes Anaisa, Landon, BarbySue liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow! Love reading your stories! I am a righty, but my son is a lefty and my dad was a lefty.

9. Likes Landon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is there any difference? I wish I had 2 more hands - any - right or left! I could find use for them

11. Likes Anaisa, Landon, BarbySue liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, I get that still, my hubby is like, let me cut that for you...my mother was like you MUST cut w/ siscsores (spelling) w/ you right hand...so I fully understand...

13. Likes Landon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    As I know - left handed are most talented and most successful people. At least most of the famous people are left handed... Most of left-heded people I know are not yet famous but talented and successful

15. Likes amanda, Anaisa, Landon, lheidrich liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    i am right handed. i hold my crochet hook like you would if you had a pencil or a fork. i just put the string on my left hand in between my 2nd and 3rd finger, i do not wrap the yarn around my fingers at all, i find this is enough tension for me to crochet.

Post Thanks / Like
    You mentioned how you hold your working yarn...I have been crocheting since I was in elementary school and I'm 45 now. I just learned the correct way to hold the yarn last week. I just had it curled in my had not around any fingers or over and under fingers just held in my hand. My fingers would cramp from keeping the tension I needed. My sister who lives in Kansas talked me through how to hold the yarn and finally after all these years I can crochet without getting a cramp in my left hand from holding the working yarn. What sorta yanks my chain is I have been crocheting with a group at Micheals and the teacher there has never said a word about me not holding the yarn right. What is up with that???
    Quote Originally Posted by libertylady64 View Post
    i am right handed. i hold my crochet hook like you would if you had a pencil or a fork. i just put the string on my left hand in between my 2nd and 3rd finger, i do not wrap the yarn around my fingers at all, i find this is enough tension for me to crochet.
    Barby Sue
    Be who you are and say what you mean