Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  14

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone else use a shawl pin? Does anyone else make their own?

I use any kind of large rings I can find; and highly lacquered chop sticks. I have Lucite [read: clear plastic] rings and large brass rings I get from cheap purses I buy for their parts. [I also design tote bags and handbags I sew out of fancy fabrics]

Anyway the pins are easy to use. Just hold the ring up against the shawl as you want it to drape on you, then poke the chop stick inside the ring and pick up a few stitches it will hold right there until you pull it out and won't damage your shawl.
    Last edited by bailey36; 12-13-2012 at 09:56 PM.
    Bailey
    In repentance and rest is your salvation, in quietness and trust is your strength

Jacksonville, Florida, but hate it. BAMA native
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, Bailey,
    I have never heard of a shawl pin until now. I can see it would be useful. I have a shawl I made long ago and one I bought at an estate sale. I would probably use them more often if they would stay around my shoulders. When you make the pin, do you use one ring or two? Is the chopstick attached in any way? Do you use a full sized chopstick? I have a beautiful pair of chopsticks a friend brought me back as a gift from Tiawan(sp). I would never use them to eat but maybe for something like this. I collect vintage costume jewelry and have many brooches and clip earrings. Couldn't I use them instead? Just thinking.
    Hugs, Jane

3. Likes GrammaJoe liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    if it is a close weave I'd use a regular brooch, the shawl pins with chopsticks are for crocheted shawls with a loose weave, just one ring as the chopstick doesn't bend. when you use the circle and stick you'll see how easy this is.
    Bailey
    In repentance and rest is your salvation, in quietness and trust is your strength

5. Likes janie mae liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    You could use those hair barrets that have a fancy to p, then u put the stick through the 2 holes, catching some yarn in between instead of hair, way cheaper than those shaw clips.

7. Likes janie mae liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for the post . I have a large half granny shawl I made and use in the winter but keeping it closed around me was a problem so I never wear it much . I have some of the large rings will have to get the chop sticks and try it .

9. Likes janie mae liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I think I got my set of 4 pairs of lacquered chopsticks for a buck at the dollar store, not all that pricey and it looks so fancy.
    Bailey

11. Likes Joyannerose, janie mae liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have heard about shawl pins, but never knew how to use them! Thanks for the post!

13. Likes janie mae liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    ok, here is a picture, this isn't a shawl but I'll bet you can see how it would look on a shawl
    http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e1...r/shawlpin.jpg
    Bailey

15. Likes janie mae liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wonderful idea.

17. Likes janie mae liked this post