Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Question

Post Thanks / Like

Question

I am almost done crocheting my daughter's afghan I am making her for Christmas. I changed colors at the end of every row so I have different colored threads hanging out on both edge sides. Can someone tell me what is the best way to crochet the edges to hide all the loose threads? This afghan is 48 rows wide. So I have 48 rows on each side to cover. Any suggestions I would appreciate.

Thanks everyone,
    Lynda Fey

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh my , that is a lot of ends. Not fun. Well someone will be along to offer suggestions, I am sure. I always just sew them in- weave through for a few stitches, reverse and come back doing same. Good Luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    You could do a border around, but still would be weaving/sewing ends in.

4. Likes Anaisa liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you crochet over the tails along the edges, those tail colors will still show, so if it doesn't look like what you want it to, you'll just have to sew them all in. Yuck, it is my least favorite thing about crochet. (Everything about crochet is my favorite thing!) Annette

6. Likes Anaisa liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    my least favorite job is weaving in ends--i do it as i go along so as not to be stuck at the end of the project! i did an afghan like that last year, changed color every row, huge size for a queen bed. i called it my "labor of love", made for ds #1 in his 3 college colors, maroon, white, and gray.never again! i like prayer shawls and baby caps for charity now!

8. Likes Anaisa liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I say:
    weave in 5 tails at a time (choose a # that is comfortable for you, to get started)
    go do something else
    come back, do 5 more
    'til all those tails are woven

Sending my blessings,
    Butterflyrose
    Last edited by Butterflyrose; 12-13-2012 at 12:44 PM.

Kindness begets kindness. Enjoy life!

10. Likes amanda, Magnolia Blossom liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you all for the help. My daughter asked me to add tassels to the edges so I guess it won't matter if I crochet over the tails along the edge. What is the best crochet stitch to use? SC, dc or?? And does anyone have any helpful tips on how to make tassels and attach them to the edge?

Post Thanks / Like
    GrammaJoe, if I do it like you suggest won't the ends come out when it's washed in the washing machine on the gentle/slow cycle? You are right it won't be fun.

Post Thanks / Like
    I like to sc around a row of each color so it shouldn't show. Who looks at the edges anyway? LOL Maybe next time lay the tails on top of the last row and crochet them in. They don't wash out. I know it will be wonderful what ever you do.
    Best stiches
    Billie

Post Thanks / Like
    Lynda Fey: When I say weaving, it really is a stitch (Not just passing through), but around a loop(one single strand of wool - preferably at bottom of a double crochet if possible-better for hiding) for 3 stitches, reverse and do likewiseback the way you just came from. If an end pops out after washing it isn't much of an issue cause there is other stitches still holding. Haven't had trouble with that. The reversing back and doing it seems to lock pretty well. Near edge is good too then you can camoflage with border. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by GrammaJoe; 12-13-2012 at 04:06 PM. Reason: clarifaction