Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Post Thanks / Like

Problem with baby sweater

I purchased this pattern (can't believe I paid for this aggravation LOL). I do have permission from the lady that I bought this from to post here. As she explained to me, she does not crochet, so she cannot help me with my problem. This pattern should lay flat, but by the time I get to the 5th row, it starts spiraling. I know I am adding stitches, but cannot figure out where. If you can help, please let me know.

Starting at neck, ch 59. 1st row DC in the 4th ch from hook, (ch 1 dc in next 3 ch)18 times; ch 1, 2 dc in last ch. CH 3, turn. 2nd row: dc in first dc, dc in next dc, *ch 1, dc in next dc, 2 dc in next dc ( 1 dc increased), dc in next dc. Repeat from *across, ending with 2 dc in top of turning chain. Ch 3, turn. 3rd row: Skip first dc, dc in next 2 dc, *ch 1, dc in next 2 dc, 2 dc in next dc, dc in next dc Repeat from * across, ending with dc in top of turning chain. Chain 3, turn. 4th row: Skip first dc, dc in next 2 dc,*ch 1, dc in next 5 dc. Repeat from * across, ending with dc in top of turning chain. Ch 3, turn. 5th row: Skip first dc, dc in next 2 dc, * ch 1 dc in next 2 dc, 2 dc in next dc, dc in next 2 dc. Repeat from * across, ending with dc in top of turning chain. Ch 3, turn. 6th row: skip first dc, dc in next 2 dc, * ch 2, dc in next 2 dc, holding back on hook the last loop of each dc, dc in next 2 dc, yarn over and draw through all loops on hook (1 dc decresed), dc in next 2 dc Repeat from * across, ending with dc in top of the turning chain. Ch 3 and turn.7th row: skip first dc, dc in next 2 dc, * ch 3, dc in next 2 dc, dec 1 dc, dc in next dc. Repeat from * across, ending with dc in top of turning chain. Ch 3 turn. 8th row: skip first dc, dc in next 2 dc, * ch 2 dc in next sp,ch 2, dc in next dc, dec 1 dc, dc in next dc Repeat from * across, ending with dc in top of turning chain. Ch 3, turn. 9th row: Skip first dc, dec 1 dc, * ch 2, 3 dc in next dc, ch 2, dc in next dc, dec 1 dc. repeat from * across, ending with ch 2, dec 1 dc over next 2 dc, dc in top of turn chain. Ch 3, turn. 10th row: ship first dc, dc in next dc, * ch 2, 2 dc in next dc, dc in next dc, 2 dc in next dc, ch 2, dec 1 dc over next 2 dc. repeat from * across, ending with dc in top of turning chain. Ch 3, turn. 11th row: skip fisrt dc, (dc in next dc, ch 2, dc in each dc of next group, making 2 dc in first and last dc of group, ch 2) holding back on hook the last loop of each dc. make ce in next dc, skip 8 ch 2 sps for armhole, dc in next dc, yarn over and draw through all loops on hook (joint dc made), work in pattern across next 5 dc groups. Compleste other armhole and fron to correspond. ch 4, turn. 12 th row: skip first dc, *dc in each dc of next group, making 2 dc in first and lst dc of group. ch 1, dc in next dc, ch 1. Repeat from * across, ending with dc in top of turning chain. ch 4 and turn. 13th row: skip first dc, *dc in each dc of next group, making 2 dc in first and last dc of group, ch 1,skip next dc. Repeat from * across, ending with ch 1, dc in 3rd ch of turning chain. chr 4 and turbn. 14th row: skip first dc, *dc in each dc of next group, ch 1. Repeat from * across, ending with dc in 3rd ch of turning chain. ch 4, turn. 15th row: work as for last row, increasing 1 dc at center of each dc group. chr 4, turn. 16 and 17 row:Repeat 14th row. 18th to 23rd rows incl: repeat last 3 rows 2 more times. break off at end of 23rd row.

If you can help, as i stated, I do have permission from the seller. and I hope you can post patterns on here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hang on...someone experienced in doing sweaters should answer you soon. I have not done sweaters before...wished I had so I could help...

Post Thanks / Like
    When you are working 2 stitches in one stitch you are increasing!! You may want to check your tension! Maybe somebody else will have more insite!

4. Likes Anaisa liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    um, spiraling? Is that like curling? A little curl is OK, that's tension, and yes are you making sure that you are increasing the right amount?

Post Thanks / Like
    I read through the pattern and I am not experienced in sweaters but why are you decreasing stitchs in rows starting in row 6? What would you need to increase in 5 rows and then start decreasing in row 6? This may just be my inexperience in crocheting sweaters. That is the only thing I saw. Do you have a picture of the product or pattern?

Post Thanks / Like
    i am currently working on a sweater for my mom for christmas. the neck of mine does spiral out, until i make the arm holes, then i crochet down the bottom of the sweater--which crochets down straight. i can not understand yours but mine has a row of increases than a row of one stitch across. this is a very confusing pattern too me. what kind of yarn and size hook are you using? can you post a picture of what you have done so far?

Post Thanks / Like
    No I have been so aggravted, I keep pulling it out. I do know I am adding stitches somewhere, just cannot figure out where.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the problem is that you are decreasing the stitchs and that is why it is curling up. The base is larger than the end you are working on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, first take a deep breath, everything will be ok. This little sweater starts at the neck line, i can't tell if the increases make it into a raglan sleeve? Don't worry about the curling at first they all do that. When you put 2 dc in one dc you are increasing and this sweater has you increasing steadily down and quickly because it is a baby sweater so not as far to go as with a adult sweater. What I do sometimes when I have a tough pattern is take a piece of graph paper and mark out the stitches row by row on the graph paper to get a visual. Don't be discouraged ripping it out is part of the process, I have ripped whole adult sweaters out, this will make you better at crochet. I read the pattern and the count looks good. Do you have a picture of what it is suppose to look like? The other thing I often do is copy and paste 1 row at a time into a new word doc this way I only look at one row at a time and don't let myself get over whelmed by the whole of the pattern. What weight yarn are you using? and what size hook? If you keep having trouble, I will be glad to take some yarn I have and make the sweater with you step by step. Just let me know, I hope this helps.

11. Likes GrammaJoe liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    grandmajenny you are awesome! imalefty