Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  60
Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last
    Post Thanks / Like

Kate Hudson's amazing crochet shorts from Something Borrowed

Ok...I'm going to try to post a picture. I haven't done it before so hopefully I can figure it out. My DIL saw these on Pintrest. "Ma Mere" she says "Can you make these?" Of course, no problem, I say, without a CLUE what I was getting myself into. So I go online looking for the pattern. There isn't one. Oh, I found the charts for the circles and pineapples, but nothing about the complete construction. You know, like joining, method of completing...filling spaces. So, I tried the ZOOM feature to see the rows and stitches. Not really much help. So that's when I ended up here. Barbara helped me start a thread and I went from there. Today I blocked the two halves. Tara gave me a pair of her shorts and I used them for sizing. Next, the waistband. I would really appreciate any ideas and thoughts. It has to have elastic. There is a cloth tie which I bought some white eyelet. But how????? It is crochet, but that doesn't have a lot of give. Please help!!!
    [hKate Hudson's amazing crochet shorts from Something Borrowed-kate-hudsons-amazing-shorts-jpg

OK. Did this work?
    Last edited by aporfirio; 12-06-2012 at 10:50 AM. Reason: I didn't put the picture right

2. Likes Carynjoyb, Val, libertylady64, fred1934 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    great idea but i have never heard of this.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't really have any idea how you would do the waist band! Hopefully somebody will have some idea! Would love to see a picture when you're done!

Post Thanks / Like
    I would consider just getting a nice white cotton fabric for the waistband, sew it on as a normal waistband and then embellish it after, especially if you are going to put elastic through it. It will be stronger and also hide the eleastic.

6. Likes Val, aporfirio, tammyc77 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Cora. I did buy an eyelet style fabric for the tie. I have decided to make the waistband out of fabric. I do still want to croche the outside of the waistband. I do hope its strong enough.

Post Thanks / Like
    Now I am defintely no expert on making clothing but I made a couple hats that needed elastic to give them a good fit. I used a small round elastic and crocheted it into the brim. It made it stretch and I don't think it showed too badly. I have no idea if it would work on a waistband but I would try it again on a hat brim. I saw those shorts on tv and I think it was my granddaughter who asked me if I could do them and I said NO. I have gotten into trouble saying yes when I should say no but I want to please so I do it and it is very hard and all the time I'm doing it I am saying WHY do I get myself into these jams.

9. Likes aporfirio, tammyc77, DinahRoberts liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    It would be better to use some interfacing on the waistband so it doesn't roll which is why fabric would be a better choice. The band of a hat wouldn't get near the abuse a waistband does!

11. Likes justplainjudy, Val, aporfirio liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Cora, are you suggesting that MY waist would put a hard stretch on a waistband??? I have you know that it would blow it OUT!!! roflmao

13. Likes justplainjudy, tammyc77 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Sometimes it's better to say nothing at all. Lmao, too! Landon is awfully quiet....... Judy

15. Likes aporfirio, tammyc77 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have no idea how you would finish those - but they look absolutely beautiful!