Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

I was born in the state of confusion and have never left!
    Post Thanks / Like

Has Anyone ever tried...

...to teach crochet to someone who has never learned to follow a pattern or doesnt even know the difference between a chain or single crochet? I was trying to teach a friend how to crochet with Sashay as she wants to make scarves for Christmas patterns. Her mother taught her how to crochet, sort of, 'Mom' always finished the edging on afghans for her. Anyway, she doesnt know how to read a pattern and though she has finised afghans, doesnt know what the various stitches are called.Any suggestions as to how to help her? She is easily frustrated and has trouble focusing if distractions are present. I really want to help her, even offered to make the carves for her for Christmas and then help her learn after Christmas to avoid time pressures - she would buy the yarn and I would make them for a low cost. I was thinking maybe starting with regular yarn and getting her to recognize ch, sc,hdc, etc in other words starting at the very beginning but teaching her to read a pattern along with learning to recognize and make the different stitches. Does that sound reasonable? I dont want to dumb things down for her, but I really feel that you need to know the basics to make any real progress.

Post Thanks / Like
    pjsmama, starting her on a easy yarn is what I would do too. Before she learns to read a pattern, she needs to know the names of the stitches she is doing. dc, sc, tr c, ect. There are books with pictures out there that shows and tells how to do them. and the internet. personally i like the books better. find out what is easy for her. You said she knows how to crochet, but not read patterns? It will be eaiser for her to pick up if you both do one together, with you reading the pattern as you go. It might take a couple of scarfs. After she learns those crochet stitches, it will be eaiser for her to try alone. It just an idea. What do you all think? After shes done with her scarfs, she can try some different stitches. Don't try to teach her alot all at once. It will just mix her up.
    Have a Great Day !!! Kathy

Post Thanks / Like
    this is how I'm teaching my grand daughter how..I think there is 25 lessons it has help her learn. check out each lessions.

I was born in the state of confusion and have never left!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you, thats kind of what I was thinking. I feel very fortunate that my grandmother took the time to teach me to crochet and that my brain is wired so I can read written patterns and have even started designing my own. Grandma has been gone over 20 years now but I find that crocheting has given me a special bond with her that her death has been unable to break. I love to pass the skills on to others, but this lady has been a challenge. She's easily frustrated and even more easily distracted. I worked with her for over an hour, and she still haddnet gotten the hang of sc,sc,ch1,tutrn, repeat. I'll be working with her again either Monday or Wednesday evening and plan on taking some regular ww yarn to help her get the hang of it and then try the Sashay again. Wish me luck!

5. Likes Kathy B. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have to agree, not too much at one time...especially if she gets frustrated easily. But, yeah she needs to know the difference between a chain and sc and how to crochet them...as for reading the patterns, that will come...so best of wishes for ya...and happy crocheting...

Post Thanks / Like
    It is very fustrating I have a friend that can't read the patterns. She knows the basics and gets lost with the abbreviations. I agree with everyone one else starting off easy is the way to go. Wish you and your friend the best of luck!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm mean, so I'm asking forgiveness right up front! I'd tell her that you will be glad to help her AFTER Christmas! My twin is the same way and I gave up trying to teach her. So many people have trouble with the sashay scarfs that I wouldn't even try this as a first project. My experience is that they want to do hard patterns from the start and then they fail and then they loose intereest. Also, Landon has done tutorials on all the beginning stitchs and techniques with pictures and text. I recommend she look at those. Good luck!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I tried to teach my boys, they know the chain and sc. They really had no interest in it. My 2cd son who is left handed will sit down with me and learn a new stitch once in awile. I bought a book at wal-mart " teach yourself how to crochet" was very helpful when i was helping a friends daughter and her how to crochet. It has left handed and right handed crochet. Hope that helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tell her to Google Crochet Instructions. She'll get a lot of really good instructions that are easy to follow. That's how I learned how to FPDC and BPDC! Good luck!