Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Post Thanks / Like

Red face Question (again) regarding stitching into a stitch

I have this mental block and need help keeping it straight. When stitching into a stitch, are you stitching into the loop before or after the post? I have a problem keeping it straight, for example what I am working on now..

BEG SHELL in ch space of beg shell of last round, *ch 1, dc in next 2 dc, 3 dc in next dc, dc in
    next 2 dc, ch 1, SHELL in ch 1 space of next shell, repeat from * around, join.

I get the pattern just not which stitch, before or after the post?

Post Thanks / Like
    So when I am stitching into the ch 1 in the middle of the shell, I am actually stitching into the loop before the post that is after the gap (or 3rd dc)? right?? Oh my I think I just confused myself!

Post Thanks / Like
    when you say 'post' I'm thinking of front post .....so I'm not sure what you are trying to stitch....so let me re read your second question...OK your 'shell' stitch should be done in a ch space...so let me go back and read your first question...please tell share the last stitch of the prior row...it could be the pain med but I'm not sure....

Post Thanks / Like
    I think I am just not understanding a basic crochet rule and have made it complicated. When you are sc on top of another stitch I can easily know where to stitch because I am just following the row. But when I have to start skipping stitches and just chain (like 2dc, ch1, 2dc) when I come back around and have to stitch into that ch1 I'm not sure which loop I put my hook, besides the gap that is in between :P

5. Likes Anaisa liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi,rosieh20- I think I understand what you mean. Consider the ch1 space as a " hole" and work your next row stitch in that hole around the ch1. The ch1 will be covered up and your stitch will magically appear above and between the double crochets. Hope I have been clear enough-wish I could show you in person. Keep stitching! i'malefty

7. Likes rosieh20 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great imalefty! that one is easy thanks!! what about when I get to the increasing? I have a gap there and I have been stitching into the loop AFTER the first post, but now I do have a spiral look going which is kinda cute, but not sure if it suppose to do that. I was wondering if perhaps I should of been going into the stitch BEFORE the first post to make it go up straight? Right? Where it says to DC in to the next two DC after I did the shell.

Post Thanks / Like
    rosieh20-Glad to help. Could use a bit more info concerning the increasing. Are you doing post stitches or is that what you call the double crochets? Sorry to bug you but without seeing it I'm not sure what to suggest. imalefty

10. Likes rosieh20 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I guess you can say what I am calling the post is the lower part of the DC. Each row I am doing an increase AFTER the shell.....2dc, 3dc in next chain, 2dc next row I did 3dc, 3dc in next chain, 3dc etc. So after I finished the shell I need to start working into what I call the increase. I'm just not sure if I should be working into the loop before or after that first DC (I am calling it a post because I can recognize it easily after my space)

Question (again) regarding stitching into a stitch-bonita-hat-jpg

This is what it is looking like so far

12. Likes Anaisa liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Question (again) regarding stitching into a stitch-closeup-bonita-jpg
    Here is another close up of the area. I have the space to the left of the shell then I start my increasing. I need to stitch into it. You can see where I did it both ways, one on the right of the "post" and one on the left of it. When I go to the left the pattern gives a spiral look swinging to the left. I think if I went to the right it would straighten up. In reality it probably doesn't make a difference as long as I am consistent. But I was just wondering which was the correct way when they say to "dc into the next 2dc".

Your really helping me here imalefty! thanks :P

Post Thanks / Like
    I think I know what you are talking about and I always go to the left and it as long as you are consistant it stays even. The stitch is actually the top of the post but when you look at it it looks as though it is on one side or the other when you put your hook in it. Like I said I always lean left even though I'm right handed. It will stand straight unless it is a v stitch or a shell stitch. Just stay constitant. Hope this helps.
    Barby Sue
    Be who you are and say what you mean

15. Likes rosieh20 liked this post