Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5

Post Thanks / Like

Question Question about yarn

Does anyone know how I can take the musty smell out yarn before using it? I was given some yarn and I went to use it and noticed the musty smell. I don't want to use it because I am afraid the smell will rub off onto other things. Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you have a laundry bag put it in there and wash on cool with a small amount of detergent. Just do a small gentle cycle. Tumble dry.

3. Likes Val liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    My first thought was trying a light spray of fabreeze. I would test a small area first. Looking forward to see what others do in this situation.

5. Likes Val liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was thinking dryer sheet too; keeping it in the bag w/ the yarn....but fabreze sounds good too...but like Barbara said, sm area and check for discolourations...happy crocheting...

Post Thanks / Like
    I was thinking dryer sheet too! Let us know how it works! It depends on what kind of yarn it is-it may not be washable!

8. Likes Anaisa liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    would the dryer sheet just be a coverup of the odor? I was wondering if storing it for a bit with baking soda to absorb the odor if it is unwashable. Fabreeze I believe is also an odor remover isn't it?

10. Likes Anaisa liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I love baking soda! Great idea rosieh20....I use it for so many things and now I have another reason, thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Take the yarn and wrap it around the top of kitchen or dining room chair. When you have what you consider a good amount, secure with a small piece of yarn at either end. Lift off and gently soak in mild soap of choice. Gently squeeze excess water, rinse and if you wish rinse in fabric softner. Let drip, air dry outdoors if you have a clothes line or indoor on the shower head. I've done this many time with complete success. Sincerely Honeybear

13. Likes Colesmom liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Honey bear thank you so much. I have like 3 skeins I think that need to be done like that and I would really like to be able to use for some of my projects. I will definitely try that out and see how that works.