Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  14
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
    Post Thanks / Like

First Project to do

I wanted to ask if a lap blanket for a small dog would be okay to make as a first project; just using the single crochet? And, then although I've been looking through the internet I am not finding anything that I can use. Does anyone have a suggestion as to the pattern I can use? Sorry to sound so silly, I just want to show something for my effort in trying, LOL

or maybe coasters, square with just the single crochet.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was encouraged to make scarves first. So I made one for kids. The second one became an 8ft scarf for my wife. Funny how quickly we go crazy with our crafts. Actually, anything that holds your interest is a perfect first project. Good luck.
    TGsDad
    free downloads of my books are at http://tg-books.yolasite.com
    Updated Dec. 15

Post Thanks / Like
    Lapghan and Small Afghan Crochet Patterns | AllFreeCrochet.com Here are some small Lapghan. Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    If the lapghan are to hard. Yes, you are better off making something simple likes the scarves or coasters.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think trying both...sc can get kinda tedious and for that large of a project, so having something like a scarf or granny square coasters might be a nice break from sc but not from crocheting...hope this makes sense...and you are not silly at all for asking....

6. Likes favesis37 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am making wrist warmers now and some patterns show just making a block of what ever stitch then folding them together and joining the edges and leaving a space for the thumb. Wish I had known this before, would be a good project for working on tension and stitches. And you can only have so many washcloths and coasters around. Just another idea. But nothing wrong for a blanket for the dog, unless they like "making" their beds like mine did, it wouldn't of lasted too long since he would work on it for 5 min at a time, and another 5 if I was in a mean mood and mess it up for him

Have fun and be sure to post a pic for us! Was just thinking of you this morning and was wondering how it was going!

Post Thanks / Like
    Washcloths really are a good way to learn because they are small projects that help you learn to keep your tension even.

I have two really simple beginner baby blankets make with thick yarn and a big hook. Either one would make a cute dog blanket.

Remember with SC you just add one. So you can crochet a foundation chain of 50 (see if thats the length you want your dog blanket) and add one (for the turning chain) so 51 for your foundation chain.

Chain 51

Row 1 SC in the second stitch from your hook, SC in each st across Chain 1 and turn (50 stitches)

Row 2 SC in each stitch across, chain one and turn

Repeat row 2 until you have the size you want.

If you use bulky yarn and say a P or Q hook you can be done in about an hour or two. I love big hooks!

Kay
    Last edited by kayscrochetpatterns; 11-30-2012 at 05:12 AM.

9. Likes boopie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    What have you decided to make? What ever you decide to make, you can count on help from this forum. They have helped me a ton and I wouldn't have made my first scarf or work on my first soldier cap without them!! That is one of the things I like the most about this place, everyone is very helpful and nobody is snooty. No one has ever looked down on anybody cos you are a beginner, they are excited to see what you come up with!
    Last edited by Landon; 12-02-2012 at 07:26 AM.

11. Likes GrammaJoe, rosieh20 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    We like beginners because we can mold them to our liking!! Only kidding! But we do love to help out newbies and passing on our love of crocheting! Pick which one you like the best and go with it!!

13. Likes Landon, rosieh20, Colesmom, boopie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    What ever you choose, we are behind you! I started with a simple afghan years ago. When I returned to crocheting, I started with doing scarves and dishclothes to refresh my memories.

15. Likes boopie liked this post