Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  9
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: stiffner??

Post Thanks / Like

stiffner??

What is used to stiffen an ornament without using sugar?

2. Likes janie mae liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Try using liquid starch. You can buy it at the grocery store. I like it better than sugar. (doesn't attract bugs!)

4. Likes janie mae liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought this spray bottle of stiffner but don't waste your money it is not making things stiff just a little more than nothing. I'm going back to the starch.

6. Likes janie mae liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I read that one can use epsom salt...and it supposidly has a glittery finish...never tried it.

8. Likes janie mae liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Dolly,welcome to the forums! I heard of people using elmer glue w/water but don't not how much of either to use...hope someone can help you.

10. Likes janie mae liked this post

Jacksonville, Florida, but hate it. BAMA native
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, the epsom salt sounds interesting and so does the glue. Faye, I bought some of the spray once and you are so right about it. But there is another kind that pours that works pretty good. I made some angels using hankies and a piece of an old cotton quilt top for the wings. I ran out of the pour kind and had to finish with the spray. It was a noticeable difference. The pattern called for the stiffner stuff. I hadn't even thought about starch. I'm not sure it would have been enough. I've been thinking about making more of these(they turned out beautiful,if I do say so myself). I'd love something that worked well, making the pieces really stiff, without costing me so much. Amounts for Epsom salts and whatever goes with it, please. Or I'd be just as happy with the same info on the glue. Thanks everybody.
    Hugs, Jane

Post Thanks / Like
    I use the stuff that is liquid! You may have to soak it several times but it does work well!!

13. Likes janie mae liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I found some information on the glue..click the link..

How to Stiffen or Starch Crochet Articles | eHow.com

15. Likes janie mae liked this post

Jacksonville, Florida, but hate it. BAMA native
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Val,
    I see a recipe here for crochet and for fabric. I should be able to use one of them on my hankie angels. It should also work on the quilt top wings. Please no "useable" quilt will ever be cut up in the making of my crafts. Only quilts and tops too far gone to be repaired or too small to make a baby quilt are used in my crafts. My grandmas were both quilters and I respect the work in a quilt too much. Some of these people on EBAY and similar sites who sell quilts calling them "cutters" are crazy. I have rescued a few, but often they have already cut them up. What if someone cut your best afghan into 4 pieces and sold it like that. I see people sell ready made granny squares on there all the time, but that is different. I'm preaching again. Hugs, Jane

Post Thanks / Like
    janie mae, so with you!! I would kill if someone cut a family quilt up but like you I have old quilts that I bought for nothing almost worn to pieces that I could cut up with abandon. Can you share your pattern for the quilt angels? I never thought to cut a baby quilt out of these. Ya'll make me think all the time! My old brain may explode!! lol

18. Likes janie mae liked this post