Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  15
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Post Thanks / Like

Bedspread pattern for crochet thread

I am currently making a queen sized bed spread in crochet thread and am not overly fond of the pattern I am using. I have two dogs that will be on the bed from time to time and need a pattern that is closely made. I am thinking the less "holes" there are in the pattern the less chance of the dogs nails catching on the bed spread. This spread will take too long and too much effort to have the dogs ruin it.

If anyone knows of a pattern that would be of interest I would love to see it. I am currently making the pattern that can be found here: About.com: Attic24: Hexagon How-to.

I have already purchased over 300 balls of thread and have used about six balls in this above pattern and am joining the hexagons as I make them so that I will not have to go back and join them after I make countless little hexagons. The work that I have done looks good but is not quite the look I wanted and as I have already said, I have not found the pattern that I am looking for.

I find crochet to be relaxing and is generally something that I tend to do early in the morning with my coffee -- you know before I really start the day and again at night after supper while we sit back and enjoy the evening either watching TV or sitting outside enjoying the warm Arizona weather (the sunsets in Arizona are stellar!).

Thank you for reading this introduction and request.

John Grey

Post Thanks / Like
    Howdie and welcome again....do you want squares or an ongoing pattern?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi there! OMG 300 balls! I make only doilies and cannot help but so impressed

4. Likes Anaisa, Landon liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Anaisa View Post
    Howdie and welcome again....do you want squares or an ongoing pattern?
    I do not believe I have a preference as to squares or an ongoing pattern. I just am looking for a pattern that will not snag so easily with the dog nails. I'll take a picture of what I have made so far and if I can figure out how to post the picture I will add it to this post tomorrow. I am leaving for a short mini-vacation in about 15 minutes and do not have time to take and post a picture now.
    John Grey
    Bullhead City, AZ

6. Likes Anaisa, Landon liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I admire your patience in doing such a large project. I think I would make whatever pattern I really loved and would just never let the dogs on it - or put cover over it if there is any chance they would get on it. With all that work, I can't imagine taking a risk with it. That finished bedspread will be a treasure! (I have two dogs and have had to train them not to get on furniture, and it has saved many a project!) BTW, I found many gorgeous patterns for bedspreads in old Workbasket magazines. I have a tons of them from the 40s and 50s.

8. Likes kl1000, Anaisa, Landon liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by greatexp View Post
    I admire your patience in doing such a large project. I think I would make whatever pattern I really loved and would just never let the dogs on it - or put cover over it if there is any chance they would get on it. With all that work, I can't imagine taking a risk with it. That finished bedspread will be a treasure! (I have two dogs and have had to train them not to get on furniture, and it has saved many a project!) BTW, I found many gorgeous patterns for bedspreads in old Workbasket magazines. I have a tons of them from the 40s and 50s.
    Well, our dogs sleep in bed with us (yes, I know that some people think that is gross but they are our "kids" and are a part of the family and go and do just about everything we do LOL. We are one large pack.) and I after all these years I just do not have the heart to keep them off of the bed....if I have to I could put the bedspread on the guest bed as the dogs never go into this room as we keep it dog free for guests use.
    John Grey
    Bullhead City, AZ

10. Likes Landon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Aww; so those who thinks it's gross don't have to have the doggies in their bed...I was brought up that way, but when we had a puppy we let him sleep w/ us...it was so nice....we cleaned his feet....as for the pattern, my favourits is not working w/ google crome; so once I find it again I will sure to let you know....happy crocheting...enjoy your mini vacation....

Post Thanks / Like
    We just came back from a great trip to Lake Havasue City and saw the London Bridge (bricks were brought over from London and reassembled to make the bridge) and visited the small shops in the downtown district. I managed to purchase a Handcarved Turkish Block Meerschaum Pipe that retales on line for $179 for only $26! It was a good day LOL.

I took two pictures of my hex pattern which I will try to post as soon as I figue out how to do that. I have the pictures on my computer ut can't quite figure out how to post them here, hmmmm!
    John Grey
    Bullhead City, AZ

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Pictures of the bedspread that I am making in a Hex Pattern

Here are two pictures of the Hex Pattern that I am making one a close up of the pattern and one taken from a distance of about four feet. I am not very good with the camer and these are the best pictues that I can take

Here is the close up: Bedspread pattern for crochet thread-closeup-hex-pattern-jpg

Here is the one from about four feet away: Bedspread pattern for crochet thread-currently-completed-jpg
    John Grey
    Bullhead City, AZ

Post Thanks / Like
    The bedspread is so pretty.

15. Likes Landon liked this post