Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Hello, i am MamaB and i am trying to re-learn crochet after 35 years.

I am trying to re-learn crochet after 35 years. I am left handed and finding it difficult to reverse pattern instructions to help me. Also having issues getting my edges to come out right when I turn the work to go back the other direction, any one have any ideas? Thanks so happy to have found this forum.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi MamaB, welcome to the forums! we have left handed members here so hopefully they can help you..

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi there! I make only doilies

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, MamaB and Welcome!

I am Landon a crochet newbie myself.
    I have a blog where I have some lessons about beginning crocheting.
    If you go here:
    [URL]https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5109001270056501062#editor/target=post;postID=4947933227813413609[/URL]

In that lesson, I go over how to make your rows even.
    Although there are a couple of reasons why the edges could be uneven. One is because of the turning chain and crocheting in the turning chain or if your tension is off. Does your work fan out? Lots of us crochet our foundation row at a tighter tension and then relax when they are crocheting the rest of the piece.

I hope I have helped you. If not, please let us know and we'll figure it out!!

Can you post a pic of your work? That way we can see it and usually we can figure out what is going on.

Happy Crafting,
    Landon

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello and welcome! We also have some left handed videos posted in the Links and Resources thread which are stuck to the top of the thread list you might want to look at as well!

Thanks for joining us!

Post Thanks / Like
    Howdie and welcome....I am left handed as well...how's your tension?

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome. I too am new to this site but I love it already. A funny thing about giving advice. Personally, I welcome it cause I KNOW I don't know everything. But I have a crochet friend who rebuffs any help when I offer. But I think this must be a great place because I see lots of people asking. So here's what I think: Count your stitches across the row. As long as the number is the same your good. When you turn, chain 1(for single crochet and it Doesn't count as the first stitch), or chain 2(for double crochet and it Does count as the first stitch so make sure the next double crochet is #2) or chain 3 (for triple crochet and it does count). My first afghan was so curvy and lopsided on the edges.....I'm better now.

8. Likes Landon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi and welcome! So glad you decided to join us!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello and welcome. There are great people here that can and will help you. I love this place. I'm sorry that i can't help with the left hand thing since i'm right handed. lol , but i know there are lefties here.
    The best part for me about crochet is that it doesn't have to be perfect. In time your edges will be fine, and if you put borders/ edging around then no one will no the difference.
    I am a self taught crocheter. I used you tube. yep you tube. I follow a lady who is believe it or not a lefty. Name is tmj1963 i believe. She does great tutorials. There are others to. Just look up How to crochet videos on You tube.
    Good luck
    Erika