Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  10
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Post Thanks / Like

Introduce Yourself-Karies

Hello everyone. I've been crocheting for almost 37 years. I learned from my mom who was right handed and I am left handed. I looked in a mirror and that flipped things for me so that I could see them from a "leftie" point of view. I like making hats, afghans, and baby sets.

One one frustration in this craft is the lack of "good" yarn available in craft chain stores. There is never enough of a dye lot if I want to make an adult afghan. I like good acrylic (I have animal allergies). I love to find new patterns so I decided to join this group and see where it leads me.

2. Likes Barbara G., janie mae liked this post

Jacksonville, Florida, but hate it. BAMA native
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, Karies,
    It's great to have you with us. I love your story on how you helped teach yourself to crochet lefty. We have no shortage of left-handed people here. Their stories of how they learned to crochet as lefties are as varied as the crafters themselves. You will find that if you need help with anything, all you need to do is ask & usually there are 2-3 people trying to find your answer. You say you have allergies & have trouble finding enough of 1 dye lot. Have you tried Red Heart Super Saver? Ther is no dye lot. Some complain that it's not soft enough. I've found I can wash it the 1st time & when I get to the rinse cycle, I add about triple the liquid fabric softner then stop the washer & let it soak for at least 30 minutes. Then finish the cycle & dry. The more you wash it, the softer it becomes. I've even done baby blankets with it. Your tension matters, too, I think. You can make any yarn hard with too tight tension. As I said before, I'm glad you're here & I hope I have helped you some.
    Jane

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello!! I am Larisa. I make thread doileis

5. Likes janie mae liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jane. I don't use Red Heart for the very reason you stated. I find it too rough, but I'm willing to try what you suggested! Thanks! I love soft, but not "fuzzy" yarn. I use Deborah Norville Everyday yarn, Bernat Super Value, Hobby Lobby's I Love This Yarn, Michael's Loops, Sirdar Snuggy, and a few more. My tension is not an issue. I have arthritis and crochet loose. I have special hooks that I use otherwise I would have had to stop. Great meeting you!

7. Likes janie mae liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    My mom used to make doillies. I have a lovely bedspread that she made out of thread. It's a rare talent!

9. Likes janie mae liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Howdie and welcome; I am left handed as well...waves w/ her south paw...I also like to work w/thread.....

11. Likes janie mae liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Karies, welcome to the forums!

13. Likes janie mae liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Karie, welcome to the group. I use yarn and after washing use a fabric softner too.

15. Likes janie mae liked this post

Jacksonville, Florida, but hate it. BAMA native
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, Karies,
    I told you about the lefties in this group. They're all sweeties! I'm sure you will meet more of them soon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Karies and welcome!! So glad you decided to join us!

18. Likes janie mae liked this post