Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  17
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Post Thanks / Like

Question about beginner's yarn

Hi everyone... and Happy Thanksgiving to those who celebrate it.

Mostly, I have read that worsted medium weight (4) yarn and an I/9 5.50mm hook works best for beginners.

Today, I was googling and found a website where the author said a beginner should use a bulky yarn (5) because it it only has one strand and would less likely get caught in your hook.... and to use a J or K hook.

I'm all for what might help me get the hang of the tension/evenness of the stitches. What are y'alls opinions about the weight/hook thing?

2. Likes Landon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I learned on a 5 hook and sport weight yarn(3) it was hard lol. I'd say use a 4( med ) yarn and whatever size hook your comfortable with. Everything else takes practice... I still have trouble keeping projects even. So don't dispare

4. Likes Landon, boopie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    thanks for your input, nnw (nothingnowhere. I appreciate all comments/suggestons/opinions.

6. Likes Landon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Boopie, I have only be crocheting for about a month myself. I started with a "4" or worsted yarn. My first major project that I am working on is an afghan with a 5 yarn. Fussy bugger it is. So make sure that if you start with a bulky that it isn't fussy. The only good think about it is that it does camouflage my not having a consistent tension . I found that most easy projects do start with a "4", and I think that if you find a pattern that you like, do it and remember that you just started and that it is a project of love. I have taken that outlook on my afghan, it is bigger that I should of started, but I wanted to do it and even tho it has it's quirks, I had fun and learned from my mistakes. And it is my project of love and I will always look at it as my first major project and that I had fun!! (even while pulling out rows, because I learned!)
    Have fun and enjoy!!

8. Likes Landon, boopie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Rosie! I think I might get 2 40% discount coupons for Hobby Lobby and drag hubby to get some '5' weight yarn and another hook. Who knows, I might do better. To me, it's all about the practice. You sure are brave to do an afghan first. I haven't even gotten to dishcloth/pot holder stage, LOL. I have to start small, because I know myself and I would love to start big, but I know better, LOL

10. Likes Landon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    well trust me, I have a few coasters and washcloths around! Actually my first round coasters were this months Cals, gave them to my mother for her birthday For sure use the coupons! I am heading to walmart in the morning cuz they have there yarn on sale which you never see! Hoping that they will not be too picked over, hoping everyone will be heading to the electronics!
    I have found that I myself want to crochet on the tighter end so I usually use a size up needle from what the pattern says, now that I mention it, I don't think I have ever used the size needle that is indicated on the yarn package. And trust me, the Afghan is big, but I figured how wrong could I go with doing nothing but DC,,,well at least after I got the chain done anyway! lol

12. Likes Landon, boopie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Tammy, if you are going to start with a potholder, 100% cotton is best. Anything acrylic will not withstand the heat and could get damaged and not work best for you in the process. I love Peaches N Creme cottons, they are great to handle and come in a variety of great colours! I have a stack of kitchen towels myself and all are Peaches N Creme yarns. They wash in the washer and dry in the dryer and have held up great.
    There are lots of projects you can make in single crochet. I just checked out a book from my library called Single Crochet for Beginners by Cindy Crandall-Frazier and it has easily about 20 different projects that are all in single crochet. There is a pattern for mittens I want to make.

On the yarn you buy, you'll see the hook they recommend plus a lot of more information that is important to have, like the gauge. I wouldn't worry much about gauge in the very beginning, but you need to keep it in mind because it will determine the size of your piece. One thing I like to do is crochet different materials with different hooks just to see what they'll look like.

Do you know what tension is? Tension is how loosely or tightly you hold your hook and how loosely or tightly you crochet with the yarn. Most crocheters will crochet their foundation chain with a tighter tension then loosen up as they go. This will make your work look like a fan instead of even straight rows.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tammy-the main thing for you to do now is practice!! We've all been where you are now so don't be afraid to ask for help!! Landon is a very good source of info for beginners. She has a blog that is very useful-even for old dogs like me!!

15. Likes Anaisa, Landon, boopie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I started with a afghan that had a popcorn stitch in ít lol. Yes I'm crazy lol I had my mom on the phone explaing to me what I was supposed to do.

17. Likes boopie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I dunno about what size hook or yarn is best for 'beginners', I have to agree w/ MaryJane...it's all about practice...pay attention to where you place you end stitches so that you keep you work straight and go for it....I learned w/ a metal hook and thread....and any yarn work I did was w/ a size 6 hook and whatever I could get my hands on yarn....so happy crocheting...

19. Likes boopie liked this post