Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  10
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Post Thanks / Like

What was your favorite doll when you were little and do you still have it?

After seeing all the patterns for Ken and Barbie that armybrat and others had I got to thinking about what dolls I had as a child. Of course I am a twin and if you buy for one you have to buy for two so Mama's thoughts were to spend the same for all her kids except Kaye and I shared the pot. Our older sister Hilda (I know the name gets worse) Viola got one of the original Barbies and still has it. Our favorite uncle and his wife gave Kaye and I a Miss Revlon doll at 8 and I still have it with crocheted clothes that my grandmother made. Ma (maternal grandmother) left all the granddaughters one of her dolls when she died and I got Kissy and I still have her as well. Also we three girls got one of the floppy dolls when we were little and Ma took all three and made them dresses, undergarments and panties with rows of lace and detail work and I still have it. The arms and legs are attached to the body with plastic tabs and their legs and arms flop when you pick it up. Was all the rage at the time. So what are your memories? Guys did you have dolls or action figures to maintain your masculinty? lol

2. Likes janie mae liked this post

Jacksonville, Florida, but hate it. BAMA native
    Post Thanks / Like
    Faye,
    I still have my rag doll my parents had made for me when I was 6 or 7. She's in pretty good shape considering I'm the oldest of 5 kids & somebody was always messing with your stuff. My youngest daughter, (now 29) had a strange night time companion from age 1 to 3 or 4. She slept with the little plastic tractor from the Fischer-Price Barn. You know the one I'm talking about.
    Red barn, with cow horse pig chickens little farmer & back then a tractor. I don't know why she loved it so much but she did. Into bed it went every night. No doll, no soft teddy bear, just that darned old tractor. I don't know what happened to it but I sure wish I did. My grandkids,her kids, laugh when I tell them about her tractor. Oh, I almost forgot. My oldest daughter is finally expecting her 1st baby. She should be due around the end of June or 1st part of July. Yeah! This will be grandbaby #4! I am tickled!

4. Likes Landon liked this post

Jacksonville, Florida, but hate it. BAMA native
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Faye,
    I still have my rag doll my parents had made for me when I was 6 or 7. She's in pretty good shape considering I'm the oldest of 5 kids & somebody was always messing with your stuff. My youngest daughter, (now 29) had a strange night time companion from age 1 to 3 or 4. She slept with the little plastic tractor from the Fischer-Price Barn. You know the one I'm talking about.
    Red barn, with cow horse pig chickens little farmer & back then a tractor. I don't know why she loved it so much but she did. Into bed it went every night. No doll, no soft teddy bear, just that darned old tractor. I don't know what happened to it but I sure wish I did. My grandkids,her kids, laugh when I tell them about her tractor. Oh, I almost forgot. My oldest daughter is finally expecting her 1st baby. She should be due around the end of June or 1st part of July. Yeah! This will be grandbaby #4! I am tickled!

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats on the grand child. Nothing better!! The wait is awful now that the kids know the moment they conceive. You are waiting for 8 months since they know so soon. Yes, I remember the farm. Too bad the tractor went missing.

7. Likes janie mae liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I was a tomboy, so the first baby doll I got for Christmas became the victim of hand to hand combat, LOL In my later childhood years, I would play with my Barbie and I sewed her dresses with matching handbags. I also got Troll dolls ( which I adored!!) and the Troll Dolls had a little house that was like a cave and all these very cool colours, purples and dark greens. I LOVE playing with that!! Sad to say, I have no idea what happened to them. Mother moved us around a lot, she probably pitched them.
    I found a Troll doll at one of my local thrift shops, LOL She has lime green hair, LOL

9. Likes janie mae liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    When I was younger, I enjoyed Barbie mostly. My daughter likes Barbie as well and she is 10 years old now. I do have a lot of fond memories of going to play at a friends house that had the most HUGE Barbie doll house I had ever seen! It was half the size of their basement area!!!

11. Likes janie mae liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had a cabbage patch doll my aunt got my when she lived in Germany. I had it until a few years ago( it was well patched!!) my mom made me a bunch of baby clothes for her. I gave her to a friend as she has little girls and I don't.

13. Likes janie mae liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hmm...I kinda had a barbie but she wasn't barbie..when I moved here I had to leave behind all my treasures, since I was a teenage and not a 'baby', I didn't get a chance to save anything really from my childhood....I did have these finger pupperts of Grover and Cookie monster...I can't remember where I got them, but we had a huge window and when it rained, I loved watching the rain, I would put them outside and pretend it was me playing in the rain....

15. Likes janie mae liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    a great question Faye. loving all the stories. I can't believe what Landon said about the trolls and the troll house. that was my favorite memory. I would love to have one now with the house that closed up like a suitcase. I love the cabbage patch dolls and bought them for my Grandies.

17. Likes janie mae liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I still have a baby doll my grandma crocheted a dress and hat for packed away somewhere. I remember my Barby doll and how some neighbor girls and i used to sew clothes from scraps of cloth and lace and sequins (thats when i discovered the remnant bin at the fabric store it was probably cornets, woolworths or a 5 and dime store.) I think one of our dogs chewed up Barby. Funny how the good times of my childhood smell like popcorn and candy like the dime store did.

19. Likes janie mae liked this post