Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6

Post Thanks / Like

Problem, what size hook do you use for super bulky yarn?

I'm trying to make a large granny square afghan using super bulky yarn,
    I've tried M (9.00 mm) and Q ( I have no idea as to the mm but S is 19.00 mm).
    Both times the yarn rolls under. Ladies and gentlemen, for those of you who have been crocheting longer than I have-is it the yarn that is causing the problem or do I use a larger hook? Or, do I bite the bullet and change the size of the yarn?

Post Thanks / Like
    I look forward to an answer from someone more knowledgable with bulky yarns than me. By leaving this post I will get an email when someone leaves you a decent reply. Good luck and Happy Thanksgiving.
    TGsDad
    free downloads of my books are at http://tg-books.yolasite.com
    Updated Dec. 15

3. Likes Amber&TuckersMom liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, TGsDad, Happy Thanksgiving to you as well. I'm trying to make this for a Christmas gift, the colors are bright and cheerful.

5. Likes TGsDad liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sometimes Granny squares do curl up! I think you have the right size hook but your tension may be a bit tight! You could try stretching the square a bit and it may lay flat!! I'm sure others may have some ideas too!

Post Thanks / Like
    Not me but I put in my two cents anyway! First time I have smiled in a couple days. thanks

8. Likes Amber&TuckersMom, TGsDad liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    The size M square will lay flat and the size S square will with no trouble. Faye I am so glad I made you smile.

Post Thanks / Like
    Me too! I am a lot better today and I will be better tomorrow!! Ya'll are the best!!! XO

11. Likes Amber&TuckersMom, TGsDad liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    The tension was the problem, too tight, my thanks to all who read this post.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Amber&TuckersMom View Post
    I'm trying to make a large granny square afghan using super bulky yarn,
    I've tried M (9.00 mm) and Q ( I have no idea as to the mm but S is 19.00 mm).
    Both times the yarn rolls under. Ladies and gentlemen, for those of you who have been crocheting longer than I have-is it the yarn that is causing the problem or do I use a larger hook? Or, do I bite the bullet and change the size of the yarn?
    I've been using larger hooks lately for all my 4-ply, the large bulky yarns, I use n N or P. I like the airier feel with larger hooks, my hats are all made with J-P hooks. I don't know what you mean by rolls under unless you mean the smaller hooks don't grab the whole stand [all 4 ply]. Try a different size hook, [even smaller if you can work it] or change the yarn size, Life is waaaaaaay too short to live with aggravation by being able to remember each stitch as you lie in bed waiting for sleep.