Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  27
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Post Thanks / Like

Red Heart Yarn Revisited

I know we have gone over this before, but I just wanted to say a big THANK YOU to those who suggested putting a scratchy skein of Red Heart into a pillow case and into the dryer. I never would have thought about putting a skein of yarn in, I always put my completed projects in, but never a skein before.

I am working with Hunter Green, very dark and very scratchy, to the point where it was giving me problems working the stitches because it was stiff. I put it in the pillow case, pinned it closed and let it run, now I can at least work it up and will wash and dry it when finished.

So nice to have all you talented people to bounce things off of and get ideas.
    Judi G

Post Thanks / Like
    Great idea! Thanks for sharing your thankfulness! :0)

3. Likes Landon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Did you put a dryer sheet in the pillow case too or leave it out? See, I can't work with Red Heart at all because it is like nails on a chalkboard to me to try to crochet with. If putting it in a dryer in a pillow case helps this I will give Red Heart another shot. I never would have thought it would change the material that much to where I could actually crochet with it. But hey if it works, I'll give it a shot.
    Barby Sue
    Be who you are and say what you mean

5. Likes Landon liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    i was given some yarn at church for charity projects, and it had a few dirty spots on it. i put it in my lingerie bag and washed it! it worked wonderfully!

7. Likes Landon liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I took a scarf I did with Red Heart & hand washed it as it was so small, and then let it soak in softner for about an hour. It came out great, isn't scratchy now and will work great for my little nephew this winter.

9. Likes Landon liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I heard if you spray with downy and water it wont be so rough. I know when my sons grandma makes us all new blankets which is very often, i have put extra downy in the rinse cycle. Then it's softer then before. So try that barby sue. Don't give up on red heart, sometimes it's just that one skein.

11. Likes Landon liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the tips, I might not say as many ugly things about super saver if this works.

13. Likes Landon liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    That is good to know, I have several skeins of Red Heart that need to be put into the dryer.

15. Likes Landon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Now that I have these great tips I'll try them and not give up on it. I have never heard of the dryer thing or the fabric softener. I'll give it a try. Thanks to all of you on this.
    Barby Sue
    Be who you are and say what you mean

17. Likes Landon liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    At first I just threw the dryer sheet into the dryer, but then I realized it wouldn't do as much good that way and put one inside the pillow case. It is still a little stiff but much better, the longer you leave it in there the softer it should get. I make mostly afghans and a lot of them, so the Super Saver is all I use for them. I find the light colors are much softer. I just made one in Coral that was nice and soft, but this dark green has so much dye in it that it is stiff. It softens up easily enough.

Judi G

Quote Originally Posted by BarbySue View Post
    Did you put a dryer sheet in the pillow case too or leave it out? See, I can't work with Red Heart at all because it is like nails on a chalkboard to me to try to crochet with. If putting it in a dryer in a pillow case helps this I will give Red Heart another shot. I never would have thought it would change the material that much to where I could actually crochet with it. But hey if it works, I'll give it a shot.

19. Likes Landon, rosieh20 liked this post