Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  10
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

I was born in the state of confusion and have never left!
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone up for a challenge?

I am trying to see how many prayer shawls I can finish before Christmas to send to those along the coast affected by Sandy. Anyone want to join me? I've gone through my yarn stash and have enough for at least 3 and I have at least 2 done already. I know 5 doesnt sound like much, not even a drop in the bucket compared to the thousands of people affected by Sandy and then the Nor'easter, but helping 5 people is better than not helping any.

2. Likes misspat, rosieh20 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Pjsmama, that sounds like a wonderful idea, I am also making gloves for them as well so I think it will be great to have someone doing shawls as well, also I would like to make hats & scarves to go with them as well. Every little bit we all can do turns into a whole lot & it all helps, thank you too for doing this, it shows what a wonderful person you are. Your crochet friend, Patti

Post Thanks / Like
    Truly want to thank you both for thinking of us here in Jersey and elsewhere. It's been a very tough couple of weeks here. Thankfully my home was not damaged but power outages & fallen trees make life difficult. No traffic lights working posed it's own challenge! Your kindness will be gratefully appreciated I know. Thanks again from this Jersey girl---
    imalefty

Post Thanks / Like
    what pattern you using PJsmama?? I also would like to help!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Imalefty! I didn't know you are still affected by the storm! Is there anything else you and your family and friends would find useful?? There are a lot of people on this site that would like to help! You have first hand info on what is really needed!

Post Thanks / Like
    So glad to hear you are doing this PJsmama, I have been making afghans to send up there. My son lives just south of Toms River, NJ and thankfully he didn't loose anything but his power through all this, but the devastation is all around him. He is coming next month for Christmas and will take them back to give out to people. My local Crochet group has given me some lapghans to add to the count. I just finished one afghan yesterday and started another. I have yarn for 3 more if I can get that many done in time. I had been making baby afghans to hold back for my future Great grand kids and am sending them along too, I'll make more for them. (my baby afghans are really the size of a lapghan)

May I suggest anyone who has anything they can donate to take them to your local Red Cross and designate them for the victims of Sandy.

Thanks,
    Judi G

Quote Originally Posted by PJsmama View Post
    I am trying to see how many prayer shawls I can finish before Christmas to send to those along the coast affected by Sandy. Anyone want to join me? I've gone through my yarn stash and have enough for at least 3 and I have at least 2 done already. I know 5 doesnt sound like much, not even a drop in the bucket compared to the thousands of people affected by Sandy and then the Nor'easter, but helping 5 people is better than not helping any.

8. Likes Barbara G., rosieh20, crochetteacher liked this post

I was born in the state of confusion and have never left!
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm using a variety of patterns/colors as I like each shawl I make to be unique. Also have a bearghan which is wonderful for a child, And I have enough granny squares that I can make a couple more of them. I found that pattern on the internet, I'll see if I can find it again and post the link.... Found it! YarnCrazy Crochet World - Chris Simon's crochet patterns its on page 2 almost halfway down the page. This site also has a lot ofnice granny squares for anyone that is interested. For those that are a bit intimidated by the thought of an entire afghan, maybe several could get together and make squares and someone else could put them together?

Post Thanks / Like
    Just getting ready to send a box of crocheted items to CAP!!! Christian Appalachian Project!!!
    Sent a box of crocheted baby items to America Response- www.America Response.org
    Both charities are looking for items and would be happy with your shawls!!!
    If you need addresses, can provide them.
    crochetteacher

Post Thanks / Like
    Great to hear from you,Maryjane! Scarves and hats (adult & child) would likely be a great help. It's getting chillier now. I have also thought of ponchos-they make up pretty quickly. Of course,afghans,lapghans and such. If anyone has clothes or school supplies these can be donated through the Red Cross;specifying that items are for victims of "Sandy". Heard yesterday that Fort Monmouth will be reopened to provide temporary housing for those who lost homes or can't get home yet. We here in NJ have been blessed with so much help! (NY also). Newspaper said help to restore power,set up emergency facilities,food and water "tents",and much more have come from 41 states and Canada. While my family has been fortunate we feel so badly for our fellow New Jerseyans. The losses at the Shore have been monstrous--but NJ will rebuild!!! Thanks so very much for your help!! You are wonderful!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi imalefty,
    My son lives in Bayville, NJ and thankfully he made out OK. He told me about the tent city yesterday. I just can't imagine the elderly and young ones having to live in tents in the winter weather. He had also told me about Fort Monmouth reopening, wish they had more housing units available.

I am busy working on afghans for my son to take back up when he is here next month for Christmas. He will give out to those in need. It is just so sad. I have 16 hats made also that I will give to him. I don't have any scarves though unfortunately. Maybe I can get some made up in time.

Our local crochet group "Granny Squares of Love" is donating lapghans also. Check them out on Facebook. We have been working on hats and scarves to give to our local homeless shelters.

Also leg warmers and fingerless gloves would be good for people living in tents.

So glad to know you made out OK. Keep us updated please.
    Judi G