Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Jacksonville, Florida, but hate it. BAMA native
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool Recipe for Cleaning Vintage Doilies,etc

Hi,
    Have you ever been to a garage sale, saw a lovely old doily, but passed it up because it was yellowed or stained? Here's a recipe that will clean doilies, table linens, pillow cases,etc.
    You need one Cascade dishwasher pillow (you can get a whole bag for about $2), one scoop of Oxyclean, or it's generic. Put these in a bucket with water as hot as possible, be mindful of embroidery with cotton thread as it could fade. I took a beautiful pillow case with the Southern Belle crochet edging & embroidery. It also had what appeared to be dried blood on it. I put it in for a soak with some other things until the water cooled off. It was clean, along with the doilies, hankies & napkins in the bucket. I never pass up a vintage textile I like, just because it looks dirty. Not since I discovered this. I have a huge collection of hankies, doilies & dresser scarves, & table linens. Nothing but vintage. Give it a try sometime.
    Jane

2. Likes Butterflyrose liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Janie for the tip! Do you know if you need to reblock the crochet item? It seems that you would, but I am not real sure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes thanks for sharing am intersted in the reblocking as well...

Post Thanks / Like
    Janie Mae, thanks for the tip! I am a collector of linens and need to launder my collection to keep it fresh and beautiful.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you so much for this recipe as I have a real need for it!

Jacksonville, Florida, but hate it. BAMA native
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ladies,
    I have never reblocked anything. I have ironed mine. I guess it is personal preference. I know people who use the old fashioned
    Sugar starch on doilies as well, but it's something I won't do here in Florida. Pests are so bad here I
    Wouldn't do anything to attract them to my things. I guess if you need to block or starch, go for it.
    I'm considering doing something I saw on a decorating show. They framed white doilies in black shadow boxes
    & arranged about 12-15 above a bed on the wall. It was gorgeous. Wish me luck.
    Jane