Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  8
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Post Thanks / Like

Post Community Service Projects

I have decided that this year I wanted to find others who were in need of some holiday cheer. Well it just so happened that one of our most beloved people close to where I live has passed on to be with our Lord Jesus this holiday season. He decorated the outside of his house every year with motion figures and would dress like Santa and sit on his front porch. Each and every year he would donate things to our local Ida Sue school and our local hospital for all the newborn babies on Christmas morning. A bunch of us on facebook have come together to continue his tradition and hope to be able to continue doing this each year. I am also doing a few other community service projects in my area that have to do with children and crocheting scarves, hats and anything else that I can figure out to make. I just hope that I can make my children see that Christmas is not only about receiving the gifts but it's also about giving the gift of caring.

2. Likes GrammaJoe, Landon, Kathy B. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    We should all take a cue from you and become more community minded-at least I should! Thanks for the nudge to get more involved!

4. Likes Landon liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    My community is so small that I don't have an idea where to volunteer. We don't have a hospital with babies near here. I just thought I will ask the place where Mama is and see if they could use something. I saw one of the ladies crocheting a pointed afghan with - UH, colorful choices! My twin and I have a code word for food that isn't great - it is filling. lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Community service is an important part of being a community no matter where you live. I can see how it would be harder in the smaller towns to find something locally to do. Faye - do you have any nursing homes that you could make small items for the residents?

7. Likes Landon liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Mother is in an assisted living place and I'm going to ask there.

9. Likes Landon liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I live in a little town too, I tried volunteering at the animal shelter but I got far too emotional about all the cats and dogs there that looked so frightened. That plus my back was killing me, so I had to stop.

Post Thanks / Like
    I live in a very small town but the next closest town is like 15 minutes away so it is very easy for me to get there and help out. I was wondering if any of you wonderful ladies had patterns for infant hats.

Post Thanks / Like
    Faye-my husbands code word for awful food is "you don't have to make that again"! I think I will go to the local animal shelter and see what they need! I know around here, the shelters are always in need of newspaper!

Post Thanks / Like
    What a blessing you are to others Jokersjuggalette! I crochet items and place the items in my charity bags for pickup.

Post Thanks / Like
    Greetings! I also live in a small town, and keep out of mischief at least most of the time by volunteering at our local thrift store one morning a week. I also crochet hats for the store and also for orphans in Africa who need to be warm early mornings and evenings. I give them to local missionaries who send/take them to Africa. I also crochet blankets for the Linus Blanket Project. I'm one of the very few crocheters in our group, as the others all make quilts. They do a fantastic job also-but I only crochet!