Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4

Post Thanks / Like

Another newbie here who needs help

Hi. I'm new to the forum and to crocheting so bear with me. I am making an afghan. Nothing fancy...one boring stitch. I believe it is a HDC. I think I already broke the cardinal rule...I'm not counting my stitches. So as you can image, it's not coming out straight. I will describe it as "getting shorter". I read somewhere to put a different color strand of yarn at the end of the row and I did that, but my last couple of rows are still coming out shorter than when I started. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? This afghan is for a Christmas present and if I don't get working on it now, I will never have it done by then. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,

Welcome to the group! We are glad you are here! If your afghan is getting shorter, it sounds like you are definitely losing stitches, or not working enough stitches into the row. If this is the case, you will have two choices - pulling out your stitches and reworking some rows, or if it is not too bad, you may be able to work a border around it to make it less noticable.

3. Likes Landon liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, Pathammond, and Welcome!

I am Landon, a newbie to crocheting.

Does it look anything like this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1767[/ATTACH]

When I first started crocheting, I was crocheting into the turning chain without realizing what I was doing.

Now, I mark the ends of my rows so I don't repeat that mistake.

Does your piece seem like it is fanning out? If that is your problem, you need to pay attention to your tension. A lot of crocheters will do their foundation chain with one tension, then relax while working on their piece. I am really good at doing that and have to really pay attention so my work doesn't fan out on me.

Happy Crafting,
    Landon
    Attached Images Attached Images Another newbie here who needs help-crochetingintoturningchain-jpg 

Post Thanks / Like
    OK...my two cents....take a deep breath and invison you giving that gift away; you can make it, honest...are you putting your last stitch into the chain two which tech is your first hdc...?

6. Likes Landon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good morning, I know how you feel. I have pulled out more stiches than i have crocheted. But... You might want to. Count and clount and count some more. Its the only way. Sometimes I even have to go to the bathroom and lock the door to get some quite time. But once you get it you will make the most wonderful gifts! I know because now we all do. We all have been there at some point. Good luck and keep on keeping on. You can do it.
    Good stiches
    Billie

8. Likes Landon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    You have found first hand that you do have to count! I usually put a pin on the last stitch of the row to keep track of the last stitch! If there are a lot of stitches in the row you could always mark every 10 or so stitches to make it easier to count! You will get the hang of it and think of how proud you will be of your first afghan!! Holler if you need more help or support!

10. Likes Landon liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    This is one of the reasons I love this site so much! Look at all the help, support and wisdom we have here!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi! welcome to the forums!

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome here! I make only doilies

Post Thanks / Like
    When i first started i would put an extra stitch in the front of the row( but i think that would make it get wider as you kept going ?) Anyway, welcome to the club, i still mess up and have to rip stitches out.