Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Post Thanks / Like

CAL for Tunisian Cable Fingerless Mitts, by Kim Guzman

Hi ladies. I wanted to tell all my new friends about a CAL I'm going to be doing. It's to learn tunisian cables. It's at Myyahoogroups by Kim Guzman (designer and awesome teacher). And we'll be doing the Tunsian Cable Fingerless Mitts from her book, "Ultimate Beginner's guide to Tunisian Crochet", pub. by Leisure Arts. But you could get it anywhere. I several of you want to get it, I know she'd give you a discount if you purchased it directly from her.

That's the only drawback, you have to have the book. She does do free CALs and gives you a pattern, but this is not since of course Leisure Arts owns the copyright on the pattern.

Anyway, even if you don't have the book, you might be able to learn the cable part, as I'm sure that's the part we'll all have trouble with.

And you might still get to see the last few CALS. She showed us how to do double ended hooks with Tunisian, then work in the round (spiral) to make a mobius. Oh, and first she showed us how to do extended stitches. That was for her Cape Sleeved Cardi which was also free.

Turns out the extended stitches is basically tunisian, so we were learning it without realizine it. It made it a lot less scary to try a whole new way to crochet. (Tunisian is the one that looks like knitting, but done with crochet hook. She has basically figured out how to do every knitting stitch in Tunisian now). Now I'm crazy about the lacey look of crochet, but you can do that too. It just opens up a ton of new stitches for you. And the extended stitches means you can do those long stitches without having a big gap!

Kim has a very easy style of teaching. She has videos out there too that you could see, free. And also has a unique attitude about swatches and making mistakes. You can check out her blog too. Just google her name and you'll get to it. Or try Kim Guzman, knit and crochet pattern designer and technical writer or Kimane Designs.

I just thought I'd tell you, if anyone is interested it starts Nov. 15th. And you can always start later. But it should be a quick project, instant gratification, yeah! I'll be there, hope to see you there.

If you already know tunisian and cables, come on over and help us that don't.

Oh, and if you're not a fan of fingerless gloves, they look great over a pair of regular gloves too. Then they don't have that funky look at all. I'm doing gold to go over black gloves to go with our school colors (yet again).

Ask if you have any questions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for sharing this info with us!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info! Will check it out!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joyannerose View Post
    Hi ladies. I wanted to tell all my new friends about a CAL I'm going to be doing. It's to learn tunisian cables. It's at Myyahoogroups by Kim Guzman (designer and awesome teacher). And we'll be doing the Tunsian Cable Fingerless Mitts from her book, "Ultimate Beginner's guide to Tunisian Crochet", pub. by Leisure Arts. But you could get it anywhere. I several of you want to get it, I know she'd give you a discount if you purchased it directly from her.

That's the only drawback, you have to have the book. She does do free CALs and gives you a pattern, but this is not since of course Leisure Arts owns the copyright on the pattern.

Anyway, even if you don't have the book, you might be able to learn the cable part, as I'm sure that's the part we'll all have trouble with.

And you might still get to see the last few CALS. She showed us how to do double ended hooks with Tunisian, then work in the round (spiral) to make a mobius. Oh, and first she showed us how to do extended stitches. That was for her Cape Sleeved Cardi which was also free.

Turns out the extended stitches is basically tunisian, so we were learning it without realizine it. It made it a lot less scary to try a whole new way to crochet. (Tunisian is the one that looks like knitting, but done with crochet hook. She has basically figured out how to do every knitting stitch in Tunisian now). Now I'm crazy about the lacey look of crochet, but you can do that too. It just opens up a ton of new stitches for you. And the extended stitches means you can do those long stitches without having a big gap!

Kim has a very easy style of teaching. She has videos out there too that you could see, free. And also has a unique attitude about swatches and making mistakes. You can check out her blog too. Just google her name and you'll get to it. Or try Kim Guzman, knit and crochet pattern designer and technical writer or Kimane Designs.

I just thought I'd tell you, if anyone is interested it starts Nov. 15th. And you can always start later. But it should be a quick project, instant gratification, yeah! I'll be there, hope to see you there.

If you already know tunisian and cables, come on over and help us that don't.

Oh, and if you're not a fan of fingerless gloves, they look great over a pair of regular gloves too. Then they don't have that funky look at all. I'm doing gold to go over black gloves to go with our school colors (yet again).

Ask if you have any questions.
    Hello Joyannerose:

I would love to learn the Tunisian crochet. how can I participate? would you please tell morn detail on how/where it is? how/where do I go about it on Nov.15?
    Thanks in advance.
    Ivy
    Happiness is not already made, it has to come from your own action.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Go to Kim's site (It's called WIPs 'N Chains). Kimguzman.wordpress.com should take you there. Then down on the right go to CrochetKimyahoogroup. And join. (She also has a Tunisian Group (which I forgot about and just joined. Should be a lot of good stuff there). It also tells you about her books. As stated in my post, you do have to have her book to do these mitts. But NOT to join the group. And not for all her CALs. But since the publisher owns the copyright, she can't give this one out free. I don't know how long she leaves info up, but you may be able to follow what we learned in other CALs where she gives the pattern.

I do have her book, it's good. Good pics, explanations and patterns. She also does videos. I just want to say, there is a difference in how others may do linked stitches, or certain Tunisian stitches. Not that they're wrong, it's just not the way Kim does it, and not the way her patterns are written. This caused a lot of confusion in the linked stitch CAL we did, til she realized what was going on. You could use either way, it would just look a little different. Just wanted you to know so you don't get confused. Personally, I like her videos. She has a very relaxed way of speaking and teaching.

Now I'm not sure if you have to join Yahoo Groups or not. I don't understand all that, but you may have to join that or something else to get in. I already was in Yahoo Groups, so that's which one I use. (Again, I have no idea why we need that). lol Just do whatever it tells you to join.

It starts Nov. 15th. But you can join in any time if you have to get the book first. Like I said, I think you'd still learn some tips if you didn't do her pattern. You can also set the site to skip notifying you on any CALS you don't want to do.

Hope this helps, Ivy. Let me know if you join, and I'll see you over there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joyannerose View Post
    Go to Kim's site (It's called WIPs 'N Chains). Kimguzman.wordpress.com should take you there. Then down on the right go to CrochetKimyahoogroup. And join. (She also has a Tunisian Group (which I forgot about and just joined. Should be a lot of good stuff there). It also tells you about her books. As stated in my post, you do have to have her book to do these mitts. But NOT to join the group. And not for all her CALs. But since the publisher owns the copyright, she can't give this one out free. I don't know how long she leaves info up, but you may be able to follow what we learned in other CALs where she gives the pattern.

I do have her book, it's good. Good pics, explanations and patterns. She also does videos. I just want to say, there is a difference in how others may do linked stitches, or certain Tunisian stitches. Not that they're wrong, it's just not the way Kim does it, and not the way her patterns are written. This caused a lot of confusion in the linked stitch CAL we did, til she realized what was going on. You could use either way, it would just look a little different. Just wanted you to know so you don't get confused. Personally, I like her videos. She has a very relaxed way of speaking and teaching.

Now I'm not sure if you have to join Yahoo Groups or not. I don't understand all that, but you may have to join that or something else to get in. I already was in Yahoo Groups, so that's which one I use. (Again, I have no idea why we need that). lol Just do whatever it tells you to join.

It starts Nov. 15th. But you can join in any time if you have to get the book first. Like I said, I think you'd still learn some tips if you didn't do her pattern. You can also set the site to skip notifying you on any CALS you don't want to do.

Hope this helps, Ivy. Let me know if you join, and I'll see you over there.
    Hi Joyannerose:

I just oder the book from some where else please see my PM to you. Thanks for everything you share. Ivy

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks for sharing!

Post Thanks / Like
    I just mentioned this in another thread, but Kim Guzman does teach Tunisian Crochet on Annie's Attic. It's the kind you have unlimited access to. You'll get patterns, and can ask her questions. Just another option. But I hope to see some of you at the CAL for the cable fingerless gloves.

Post Thanks / Like
    I hope I know how to get there? as now, I've receiving TC emails from the group. but I still do no know if I am in it or not? because no one seen to acknowledge /indicate that I am with the group? but I read all the new comer 's introduction email (what I have read)? I could be wrong totally because I do not know what is it that I am doing? will be long way for me to go. but I hope I can get it/learn it from book I bought the lease?I can do? it would be very long, long road to walk for sure! but I think I will try because I ready want to do the Tunisian crochet - they are = knitting to me and I think I can handle one hook better than two

Ivy

Post Thanks / Like
    Ivy,.did u look at the PM I sent u? I still think ur in one group, but not the one doing the CAL. read what I sent u, and if u can't get to the CAL, ill seems her a msg.for u. Let new know . And you'll pick it up in no time