Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4

Post Thanks / Like

Afghans for NJ and NY

Hi everyone. We all know of the awful situation NY and NJ are in. For me it is very personal since my son lives near Toms River, NJ. Thankfully he survived without loosing anything other then his power, but that isn't the case with so many others.
    I have been working every minute to makes as many afghans as I can for him to take back home to give away when he comes next month.
    If anyone has any extra afghans around the house I would like to ask you to think about donating them to the Red Cross to go to people who have lost everything.
    It is my hope that getting a hand made afghan will be a sign of hope to these people and will let them know that there are many others who feel their pain and wish to do something to help them feel a little better.

Thank you to anyone who is able to help out with this. Please send your prayers for them, I know you already have, but it never hurts to have more prayers.

Judi G

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, Judi, I am so glad your son is ok and you're wanting to help. If I can rustle up some afghana, I'll send them to the Red Cross. Bless their hearts, those poor people. I can not even imagine what they must be going through!

3. Likes Judi Gums liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Judi, I've been crocheting afghans since the first of the year..will be happy to donate to the red cross for them! will be adding them to my prayer list! God Bless!

5. Likes Judi Gums liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Judi, so glad to hear your son is doing well. It is a pain in the neck to be with out power. We had gone without power for 5 days during a hurricane a few years ago and it was awful. Thankfully, we haven't gotten a direct hit, like so many people have, we have been very blessed. I don't know how those folks are making it up there in NJ, and NY, but they certainly have my prayers and thoughts! I like the idea of the afghans and the red cross. I think I'm going to clean out my closet and see what else I can donate.
    Barby Sue
    Be who you are and say what you mean

7. Likes Judi Gums liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is a great idea! I have most of my family in Bridgeton, NJ and I am so thankful they were not hurt. Glad to hear your son is okay, too.

Giving blankets and afghans to the Red Cross is a wonderful idea. It is one way that we can help as a crocheting community! Thanks for posting this in the forums!

9. Likes Judi Gums liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks to all who are donating to NJ and NY. I wish I had more afghans done up at this point, but they will still be needed next month when my son comes for a few days. I had been making baby afghans to pass along to my future great grand children (I make them lapghan size) I am sending them and will make more for my future great grand kids.

I am just so grateful that he and his family are reasonably OK. Last I talked to him on Sat. he still didn't have power, but he has a home and his vehicle didn't get flooded out, and his job. Maybe his power will be back on soon.

Again thank you Barb, Landon, BarbySue, Val and any one else who donates some afghans to your local Red Cross to go to the hurricane victims.

Judi G

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a few afghans that I will be donating as well! My famly is in southern Dutchess County. They difn't have much damage from the storm, but their power was off almost a week! My Mom is on oxygen and had to go to a hotel for the duration! I am more than glad to help out!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you so much Maryjane. Glad to know your family made out through this also. It's just so difficult watching it on TV. I am so far away and want to help how ever I can.

I just remembered I have several new crochet hats, no scarves to match, but hats just the same. I'll add them to the boxes.

Judi G

Quote Originally Posted by Maryjane View Post
    I have a few afghans that I will be donating as well! My famly is in southern Dutchess County. They difn't have much damage from the storm, but their power was off almost a week! My Mom is on oxygen and had to go to a hotel for the duration! I am more than glad to help out!!