Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  88
Page 1 of 10 123 ... Last

Thread: Afghan question

Post Thanks / Like

Afghan question

I recently started crocheting and afghan. It's coming along great but every now and then I find a spot in the row before where I have messed up. Is there a way to correct this without tearing out the whole row? I have done this numerous times on this afghan and I am starting to get frustrated with it. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Likes suelarose liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't thinks so...sorry..

Post Thanks / Like
    OK....messed up how? Missed a stitch leaving a hole....???What kind of stitch are you doing.....is it ripples..????if it's a tight stitch may I suggest embrodery in the open spots???? Does that make sense.....???

5. Likes Landon liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not exactly what the stitch is called. They kinda look like shells. When I get to the next row and go to do the shell stitch is when I notice that I have missed a few stitches in the row before. In a couple of the rows I have noticed where I have added a stitch instead of missing a stitch. Is there any way to fix this without ripping it out? Can I just keep going and just go as if I meant to make the mistake?

Post Thanks / Like
    You can always keep going but the hole will always be there. I hate ripping (we call it frogging on here, rip it rip it) but I am a little bit particular so I keep ripping. If you had been on here earlier you would have seen a post on here where I was making a spiderman afghan and I could not get the count right so I frogged and frogged. It made me miserable but the final product is good, So if you can live with a hole or holes then it is up to you. My twin sister would never rip it so that is something you will have to decide. Not very helpful but the truth! Good luck!!

Post Thanks / Like
    The afghan pattern is made to have holes it's just making it a little difficult to count the stitches because of the way they are supposed to be. But thanks for the advice twinfaye.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you haven't gone too many rows beyond the mistake, you might just want to rip it out and fix it. Otherwise it could throw off your counting and the look of the finished piece. It's really your call.

10. Likes GrammaJoe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry,, but you'll have to rip it out to the place you made the mistake. Its frustrating but will be worth it. It will mess up the whole pattern, expecially if your doing shells if you don't correct it. Good luck and let me know how your doing.

12. Likes GrammaJoe, Lynn E liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    How tight are your stitches? Are you consistantly missing or adding? Frogging is always fustrating but worth it; Are you a one project or two project at one time gal? It might be worth putting that one down and relooking at it in a couple of days, if you can live w/ it once you pick it up again, but if you can't....ripit ripit ripit

14. Likes Lynn E liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Crochet is a CRAFT; not a race! So we want to be Masters of our craft. That means we have to frog sometimes. Look at it as learning and a chance to get more experience.

I have trouble keeping my edges straight so I rip a lot. I want my projects to be done well.

Here's an experience I had as I was learning a new stitch combination:

I had to keep ripping out. A lady on the commuter bus snapped,
    "I'm so tired of watching you rip that out again!" [I had no idea she had been watching so closely.]

I replied, "Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't know you were working so hard on this project. I'll try to do better in future," and smiled. She shut her mouth and went back to her seat in a huff.

I learned the new stitch, finished the project, and now there is a lovely light green tweed antimacassar on the back of a green livingroom sofa and chair with arm covers to match. The next new stitch antimacassar went on the facing chair. [I felt like sticking my tongue out at the lady; but I resisted the impulse (smug grin here)].
    Last edited by Dsynr; 10-23-2012 at 05:09 AM.