Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6
Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last

Post Thanks / Like

Just wanted to see who would be intersted..

Hey I just found out that the soldiers overseas was wanting some wool toboggans. I was wondering who would be interested in making some and sending them to them. I don't know how to start anything so if someone could help please do...

Post Thanks / Like
    I have never made any hats, so I would need a very simple pattern. What colours? What do you mean when you say that you do not know how to start anything?

Post Thanks / Like
    What about checking with the Blue Star Moms and similar organizations. They collect items to send to the soldiers and may be able to include the hats. If someone would like to check on a few of these types of organizations.

Post Thanks / Like
    There are a number of organizations that send hats to the troops every year. The one that comes to mind is Warmth For Warriers at Warmth for Warriors

They are a registered 501(c)3 charity.

You may also find a local group as well.
    Crochetgal on Etsy - Beautiful yarns, affordable prices

Post Thanks / Like
    What I Ment by saying I haven't started anything is like a group. And yall say that there are organizations out there but yet they are asking family and friends for these items..

Is there anyone other than Landon that would like to do this?

Post Thanks / Like
    Our crochet group donates through the Warmth for Warriors program. there is one person in our group who collects everything and ensures that it gets sent out.
    Crochetgal on Etsy - Beautiful yarns, affordable prices

Post Thanks / Like
    According to the military, the hats have to be either dark blue, camo, dark gray, dark brown or black. Also, they have to be 100% wool as acrylic yarn will melt in the heat. I don't know about crocheted hats, but knitted ones have to be in stockingette stitch so they can be worn under a helmet and so they can be folded to fit into a pocket. They ask that you do not use bulky yarn or double the yarn when making the hat. Hope this helps some.

8. Likes Landon liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Irishjl View Post
    According to the military, the hats have to be either dark blue, camo, dark gray, dark brown or black. Also, they have to be 100% wool as acrylic yarn will melt in the heat. I don't know about crocheted hats, but knitted ones have to be in stockingette stitch so they can be worn under a helmet and so they can be folded to fit into a pocket. They ask that you do not use bulky yarn or double the yarn when making the hat. Hope this helps some.
    It helps alot thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    I found a site that has caps in knitting and crochet patterns:

[URL="http://capsforsoldiers.com/Home_Page.html"]Home Page[/URL]

It is called Caps for Soldiers.

The lady who started it said they need knitters. Well, here is my motivation! She says on her site how much it means to our Military overseas to receive a gift from home. Bless their hearts! can't serve, but I know I can learn how to knit!
    Last edited by Landon; 10-19-2012 at 04:07 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Landon for the link to that site..I thing that is the pattern I will be using..I hope to get out and get some wool soon so I can start..Thank you so much for finding that web site...

12. Likes Landon liked this post