Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last

Thread: stiffener

Post Thanks / Like

stiffener

could anyone tell me what i would use as a stiffner for like a crochet angel i know it is sugar and water not sure of quantities also id like to know how to do irish crochet

2. Likes lilbitdh liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't use sugar water! Ants are attracted to and eat cotton with sugar on it. I use starch, liquid starch in a bottle looks blue dries clear, or even spray starch like you use for ironing clothes. It washes out when you launder the item, but thats good so does the dirt or dust. I used white glue and it didn't wash out, stayed sticky, and attracted dust in my experience.Just restarch and block after washing.Oh, I forgot, I'm Kitty, nice to meet you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Kitty Hi nice to meet you. Thank you so much for the help. I would of never thought of the ant issue. I am gonna use the liquid starch. I even forgot there was such a thing anymore. Thanks again

Post Thanks / Like
    You're welcome! Is the Angel a Christmas tree topper?
    Last edited by Kitty; 10-15-2012 at 01:04 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am glad you posted this. I am getting ready to start making my angels for Christmas. I made a tree topper years ago and used sugar and water. The ratio is 2 cups sugar to one cup water. AS someone else already posted, this is a bad idea. Not only do ants like the sugar, so do mice. They got into my Christmas stuff and chewed the angel up! I will try the regular starch this time! I found that the "stiffener" in the bottle that looks like white glue made my white angel look dingey.

Post Thanks / Like
    Starch is really the only way to go for me. Had the same problems mentioned. Welcome and you can see how helpful we try to be on here.

8. Likes sawquasar liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys! I was going to ask the same question! I'm currently making teddy bear angel ornaments! They are crocheted with yarn, but the wings are not stiff!! Yes-Landon and Faye-I'll post pictures when I'm done!!

10. Likes GrammaJoe, Landon liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    mind reader, LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm I've tried the starch but eventually the item 'falls'; I like the fabric stiffner I believe Aleene's is the name brand....it's great but it does catch on fire so.....looks down.....

Post Thanks / Like
    MaryJane you are a hoot!! Of course we want to see pictures.