Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: arm protectors

Post Thanks / Like

arm protectors

I've noticed that a lot of people post about chemo hats etc. for charity. From my earlier experience working with the elderly and my current experience with my own chem I know that you can easily get a lot of bruising and skin tears on on your arms especially. I've been looking at patterns for fingerless gloves that could be extended above the elbows and would give some protection. Is that something some of you might want to add to your awesome experience and charitable work?

Post Thanks / Like
    This sounds like an idea for some. Probably asking those who have went through chemo on if they would like this would give you more info as to how they feel about it. Thanks for the share - I will be curious to see how others like the idea.

Post Thanks / Like
    And probably every easy to do with any long sleeved sweater pattern with a few 'ADAPTATIONS"....hmmmm....
    Yeah. I NEED ANOTHER DESIGN PROJECT!

Post Thanks / Like
    cool idea....lately though I'm not crazy w/ things wrapped around my arms.....but if it helps those in need go for it....

Post Thanks / Like
    My daughter knits arm warmers for her husband to use when he's out riding his bike! As long as it isn't snowing, he rides his bike to work! She did ribbing on both ends of an arm for a sweater! Make sure the top ribbing is fairly tight, because it has a tendency to stretch out! I'm sure you could do something like this in crochet!

Post Thanks / Like
    Neat maryjane..sounds good...

Post Thanks / Like
    People on Coumadin are especially prone to bruising and skin tears. Also, as you age your skin becomes thinner, making bruising and skin tears a problem, and embarassing for many.
    I love the idea of arm warmers. Many times my arms are chilly while the rest of my top half is hot flashing. But I do have a concern for the elderly. Due to the fact that you have to use ribbing or something tighter to hold them up, that in itself could cause bruising, skin tears, and inhibit circulation which is also a common problem for the elderly.
    I'm thinking they're usually cold also, so sweaters would probably be best for them.
    That may be more than u want to crochet, how about those little jackets that are just sleeves, and a piece across the back to hold them togeather. Like a shrug. Although with working with the elderly, they are so practical, I think they'd still rather have the whole sweater.
    But the arm warmers or shrug might appeal to others. (I'm talking about Geriatrics -above).

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Joyannerose, pretty name! welcome to the forums!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you. I'm just so into crocheting, seems I want to read, talk, look at it, or definitely be crocheting. What can I say, I love it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Given the concerns raised by Joannerose in this thread, maybe shrugs or sweaters would be a better idea for chemo/geriactric patients. IMHO
    Quote Originally Posted by karen in tucson View Post
    I've noticed that a lot of people post about chemo hats etc. for charity. From my earlier experience working with the elderly and my current experience with my own chem I know that you can easily get a lot of bruising and skin tears on on your arms especially. I've been looking at patterns for fingerless gloves that could be extended above the elbows and would give some protection. Is that something some of you might want to add to your awesome experience and charitable work?