Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Post Thanks / Like

Question Crohooking? Anyone use DOUBLE-ENDED CROCHET HOOKS?

Read about this in the Crocheting for Dummies book and, of course, that piqued my curiosity.

Is it hard to do?

Do you like it better than Tunisian crochet?

What have you made? (Post a photo if possible) :-)

Thanks!
    Last edited by Lynn E; 10-05-2012 at 10:38 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have not personally used double ended crochet hooks. I will be very interested in seeing what others have to say.

Post Thanks / Like
    You have Crocheting for Dummies??? I LOVE those books!! I also bought Knitting for Dummies and the Complete Idiot's Guide to Knitting and Crocheting!! Aren't they wonderful?? Talk about breaking down the techniques, I have several Dummies and idiot's Guides.

How cool!!! Yah, that crohooking looks really interesting, doesn't it? Reversible fabric!! Handmade!!! WOW!

Post Thanks / Like
    Haven't tried it yet! It is on the to do list though! Anxious to see what others have done with it!

5. Likes Landon liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Didn't know they existed. More info please such as why and how.

Post Thanks / Like
    ditto, twinfaye!

Post Thanks / Like
    I've tried it; a bit on the harder side for me...maybe because I choose something round, socks as my first go around. (no pun intended) It's neat though, um, I found the longer hook one ended hook easier, maybe that's why knooking wasn't so hard for me to grasp.

9. Likes Lynn E liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Didn't make anything, but was practicing with it. Have sizes F-K. Seems to be easier than with just the one-ended hook because you just slide your work to the other end and go from there. Was thinking about picking it up again.

11. Likes Lynn E liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by twinfaye View Post
    Didn't know they existed. More info please such as why and how.
    Faye, Dot, Barbara G & Maryjane: Here's the info you asked for (I hope)

I'll quote from the book: Crocheting for Dummies (2nd edition)

"Double-ended crochet (aka Cro-hooking) is similar to working Tunisian crochet. The difference between the two techniques is the hook. Double-ended crochet uses a long, double-ended hook that allows you to work stitches on or off from either end."

"This technique is usually used with two alternating colors, working loops onto the hook with one color and then turning the work around and working the stitches off with the second color. D-E crochet produces a fabric that's reversible because it has a different color pattern on either side." [the photos are in grainy black & white so you're not missing much]

This is the part that intrigued me: "The fabric is softer and more elastic than the basic Tunisian stitch, making it ideal for afghan, scarves and stoles."

You are spot on, Landon! This is a very good book for beginners and more experienced crocheters who want to review how-to-do techniques. I give it 5 stars or a thumbs-up or some kinda kudo like that...hehehe
    Last edited by Lynn E; 10-05-2012 at 10:35 AM. Reason: The usual. I forgot to put in the names of those who asked for info. :9

13. Likes Maryjane, Irishjl liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Anaisa View Post
    I've tried it; a bit on the harder side for me...maybe because I choose something round, socks as my first go around. (no pun intended) It's neat though, um, I found the longer hook one ended hook easier, maybe that's why knooking wasn't so hard for me to grasp.
    Reversible socks...new fashion trend on the horizon?

Sorry, Anaisa, but I don't quite understand the second sentence. Do you mean you like longer traditional crochet hooks? I've never tried to do anything in the round (am I saying that right?). The idea intimidates me right now. Maybe later when I've gotten the hang of flat crocheting I'll give it a whirl. (then again, maybe not ;-)