Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Buttons

Post Thanks / Like

Buttons

I just made a cardigan sweater for my oldest granddaughter and need to sew on the buttons! What do I use-thread or yarn? I have used thread in the past and I don't like the way it looks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Can you play around with a swatch and try other methods?

Post Thanks / Like
    Depending on your project and the type of buttons, you could you yarn or thread. Have you seen the fun buttons at WalMart that have cars and other things for kids? I think you can use yarn with them.

Post Thanks / Like
    No idea, for a baby present I use the baby yarn. If the button holes are big enough I would use yarn. Someone that has experience with adult sweaters will answer. Let us see it when you are done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Buttons are fun most people woul'nt agree. I like a challenge. I would try out on a scrape piece if you can. Try Embroidery thread?? Let us see the sweater and Buttons when done. S.M.J

6. Likes Lynn E liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    One of the 900+ mysteries read on my Kindle involved antique handmade buttons... I wonder if there are instructions out there somewhere in cyberland? Perhaps a Chinese Button Knot?

I should have used "I wonder" as my ID. :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Oops! You already have the buttons to sew on. What don't you like about the way it looks?

Post Thanks / Like
    Whenever I have to sew something onto an item I have crocheted, I take a length of the yarn, split it in half and use that to sew on whatever it is I need to sew on. So much better than using thread. Also, I do not use buttons with a shank on them. I do not like the fact that the shank pushes between the stitches when you are trying to sew it on. But, that is just my opinion.

10. Likes Lynn E liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    i use the yarn that i crochet with for making the sweater. the yarn makes the buttons stand up straight and not droop down or dangle. happy crocheting!

Post Thanks / Like
    Now this is what I love about this site! I have learned something today. I think splitting the thread is a great idea and I am going to use it. Thanks Jan and Libertylady I didn't think about the shank on the button being hard to sew and I bet it pokes the wearer too. Love this site and my smart friends.

13. Likes Barbara G. liked this post