Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Post Thanks / Like

how to use graph paaper

I seem to remember years ago that my grandmother would use graph paper to set up placement of animals, flowers, anything she wanted to use in the pattern that wasn't already there. Being the silly child that I was, I never paid any attention. Now I need to know how to do this as I have 2 grandsons that want me to crochet them Colts afghans. I have searched everywhere for information on how to do this......how to work out how many stitches would equal a graph square because of gauge, or any of the other problems I usually run into. If anyone can point me in the right direction I would be a happy camper.
    This whole forum is awesome and I am so glad I found you

Post Thanks / Like
    check this link..maybe it will help.

Graph Pattern

3. Likes AuntyD liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Val, you are awesome. Guess my senior eyes are working very well because that should have been easy to find. If you tell me you googled something really obvious I will scream very loud. lol. Just kidding but I will take a huge mental scream. After all, grandma's got to come through with those Colts afghans they want.
    Again, thanks much

Post Thanks / Like
    you are welcome! I'm a Colts fan too!

Post Thanks / Like
    I saw a lot of team items on etsy maybe you could try there. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by karen in tucson View Post
    I seem to remember years ago that my grandmother would use graph paper to set up placement of animals, flowers, anything she wanted to use in the pattern that wasn't already there. Being the silly child that I was, I never paid any attention. Now I need to know how to do this as I have 2 grandsons that want me to crochet them Colts afghans. I have searched everywhere for information on how to do this......how to work out how many stitches would equal a graph square because of gauge, or any of the other problems I usually run into. If anyone can point me in the right direction I would be a happy camper.
    This whole forum is awesome and I am so glad I found you
    I have used embroidery patterns for knitting a paicture, too, but you need to fix the proportions for your stitch sizes.

This site has a calculator that makes graph paper for knitting to your specifications
    U can alter the numbers for crochet since crochet stitches are usually wider than knit stitches.

ABCs of Knitting - Actual Size Graph Papers
    Last edited by Dsynr; 09-24-2012 at 06:10 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Darn! The OS is for Windows & I have a Mac so it probably won't work. It sure seems like a really useful tool.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks much Dsynr. I'm going to try this and see what happens. I will definitely let you know what happens

Post Thanks / Like
    Yea! Keep me posted &
    Drop over to <Knitting Paradise.com> sometimes.
    U might find an even better site if you ask the folkses there.
    They have been so extremely good and helpful to me for the past year.

And DON'T FORGET:
    Crochet STITCHES ARE OFTEN WIDER THAN THEY ARE TALL [especially SC and HDC], which is just the reverse of knitted stitches, so be sure to put the numbers in the right order in the boxes!

Dsynr
    Last edited by Dsynr; 09-25-2012 at 11:52 AM.