Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Help

Post Thanks / Like

Help

A friend of mine knitted a baby blanket and it curls on the sides. Its for her first grand child and she was so proud of her efforts.I corrected the top and bottom but am not sure how to correct the sides from curling into the back. Should I try to make an edging to get rid of this? And how should I try to do this? I'm sure some one has had this happen and can offer a suggestion. I sure don't want to ask her to start over. My first idea was to add a ruffle but I'm not sure how - as the top and bottom don't curl.
    Thanks, Jean

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,

I know in crocheting that adding an edge can help with curling. Here is a recent thread where members discussed the ends rolling up:

http://crochettalk.com/main/3467-ends-rolling-up.html

There are different kinds of edging that you can add to the blanket. Let us know if you need additional help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jean, welcome to the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jean and welcome! What stitch was used for knitting the blanket! I know that using the stockinette stitch-knit one row, purl one row, will curl! The only way I have found to cure that was to block it! Glad you joined us!

Post Thanks / Like
    It was stockinette. Thanks for the quick reply. I'm off to find out about blocking now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, Jean and Welcome!!

I am Landon and am a self-taught beginner crocheter. I am so glad to see you here!!
    if you have pictures to share of your work, we'd love to see them!!

Happy Crafting,
    Landon

Post Thanks / Like
    Stocking [stockingnette] stitch will curl towards the purl side no matter what. It's just the nsature of the beast. Blocking will not cure the curl. However, a seed/garter stitch border will cure this problem. A crocheted edge will straighten it out somewhat.
    Blocking will not help. There is a tiny difference between the tension of the purl row stitches and the knit row stitches which creates the curl.