Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
    Post Thanks / Like

Hellp with a pattern

I want to make an afaghan bigger than what the pattern calls for but I don't know how to figure what the beginning chain should be. Can anyone help me out with this? I appreciate your help.

Many thanks.
    Barby

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, BarbySue!

What are the dimensions you want your afghan to be? What yarn do you want to use and what is it's gauge? I am new at this but it would seem to me that if, for example you want an afghan 6 ft by 6 ft you would start with the inches. 72 by 72 inches. Then if your gauge is 4 st an inch, you would multiply the stitches in your gauge times the total inches. That would be your foundation chain.

Does that make sense? Am I an target or am I missing something, fellow and experienced crocheters?

Someone will help you out, I just know it!!

Happy Crafting,
    Landon

Post Thanks / Like
    If you give us an photo or a link to the afghan you want to make, we could help steer you in the right direction!

Post Thanks / Like
    I want it 60 X 80 and my guage is 5 stitches per inch. I guess my problem is for the repeat pattern to come out ok I thought I needed to know an exact number to chain. It says to chain 179 and the finished size is 44 X 55 inches. That just seems really small to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    I tried to pull it up online but couldn't do it. So this is what the first row says...
    Row1: Ch 179, sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each of next 8 chs, *3 sc in next ch, sc in each of next 3 chs, sk next 2 chs, sc in each of next 3 chs, 3 sc in next ch, sc in each of next 9 chs**, sk next 2 chs, sc in each of next 9 chs, rep from * across, ending last rep at **, turn (180 sc). So to make this bigger don't I need an exact number to make my foundation chain? or am I totally loosing it?

Post Thanks / Like
    BarbySue,

I am new to crocheting and I do not want to steer you in the wrong direction. The math makes sense to me but it looks to me that your afghan has a definite pattern to it. I know someone will post answers for you!!

Hang tight, baby!!
    Landon

Post Thanks / Like
    sounds like a ripple afghan..but I don't understand chain 179 and you end up with 180 sc.
    Last edited by Val; 09-16-2012 at 06:17 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    The multiples of what you are working into the rows are divisible by three. It appears that you will always skip 2 when needed between. Since you are working into the second chain from the hook, I think your real foundation chain is 177 which is also divisible by three.

Give me just a few minutes here...

9. Likes Landon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would add to your foundation chain in 3s until you get to the size of 60 inches wide. I would do approximately 240 or 243 in the foundation chain. Correct me if I am wrong on this - those of you who are more experienced. :0)

You want your size to be a little more than a third bigger in size.

11. Likes Landon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Also, does your guage match the guage in the pattern? This will make a difference in how your sizing turns out.

13. Likes Landon liked this post