Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  30
Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last

Post Thanks / Like

Selling crochet pieces

I am not sure this is the correct place to put this question.
    I have several people asking me to crochet something for them that I did for the cancer center patients. How does one decide how to charge for their time when doing this? I have just been charging them for the yarn, but this has more and more asking me to make something.
    Thanks for any guidance.

2. Likes DeniseB61 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I think that is a great question while I don't make anything to sell I might be interested in doing it in the future.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, Ginny!

I will put in my 2 cents worth on this as I make custom beaded jewelry and I really struggle with what to charge. There are several folks here who make and sell crocheted pieces, I know they'll weigh in too.

One thing you might want to bear in mind is not to raise your prices to quickly. People are used to paying for materials, if you jump up too much, they might balk and I don't think you want to lose customers or have word get around about that.
    If it were me, I would raise my prices slowly but steadily. Everything is going up and everyone knows this, so for that, you're ok I believe.

Take a look around and see what other artists are charging for the same or similar piece and think about what you would be comfortable charging for that item. You want to be fair to yourself and also to your customer. Some people are not going to like you raising your prices. Others would be glad to pay reasonable prices for your work.

And remember, you are not obligated to divulge how you price your pieces. Remember Jimmy Dean? He said: I would rather explain the pricing than apologize for the quality. Your pieces are worth xyz amount and that includes the cost of materials and your time, but it is really no one's business how much those items cost or how you figure your worth per hour. Am I making sense?

I hope this helps you some, at least. You sound like a reasonable person to me by starting out with only charging for materials. Do you consider yourself to be a small business? In that case, you need to contact your local city hall and find out what you need to do. I have a business license that allows me to sell from my home, either online or in person. My health is screwy and I have not been working on jewellery as much as I would like too, but I am returning to it, come hell or high water!!

Happy Crafting,
    Landon
    Last edited by Landon; 09-14-2012 at 01:30 PM.

5. Likes novice61, KARENLARA, DeniseB61 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ginny,

Do you want to make a certain amount an hour? Are you limited on how much income you can make (social security, ect.)? I know many years ago, it used to be double the cost of materials that people would charge. If an item only takes you an hour to make, then you play with some numbers and figure out what you would be "happy" with.

Also, are you donating any of the money to charity that you will be making? If so, many people would be willing to pay a little more if they know money is being donated to charity through the cause.

Just a few more things for you to think about...I will be curious to see what others say who are making crocheting their business. Many of them will be logging in and out at different times (not necessarily every day due to business and preparing for the upcoming holidays-so be patient).

7. Likes Landon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

9. Likes Carynjoyb, greenmeadow, Landon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info! I usually charge what I would pay for the item if I was buying it! So far it seems to be working!

11. Likes Landon, KARENLARA, iggy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the pricing info. I recently made a shawl for a friend of my Mother's. Had never sold anything before. I took the cost of yarn times two. The pattern was simple, so I guess that was fair.

13. Likes GrammaJoe, iggy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by ginny2228 View Post
    I have several people asking me to crochet something for them that I did for the cancer center patients. How does one decide how to charge for their time when doing this? I have just been charging them for the yarn, but this has more and more asking me to make something.
    Thanks for any guidance.
    Depending really on how large the items are.......I charge $18- $23 for scarves......and $10 for baby booties or $45.00 for booties and blanket and hat.
    Really depends on fast ya are I think......and I make handbags and sell them anywhere from $18-50........just saying......you can really make your own prices...and if you have to mail them..be sure to add the postage.

15. Likes chefmomster2, Landon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile I have a shop on Etsy.com but have not sold anything yet.

All things hand made by my own hands by GrannyCraftersArt on Etsy is where I have some of my items, just had it up a couple of weeks and have not sold anything. People don't realize how long it takes to make something handmade but it will last for generations. Hope this helps

Thanks for any guidance.[/QUOTE]

Post Thanks / Like
    Firstly, are you doing it as a favour to a friend or are you going to end up with a small business?

When I price my items, I take into account the following:

1) cost of the materials
    2) cost of my time (I don't work for free)
    3) Profit that I want from the item

The total of those ends up being your 'base' cost or your 'wholesale' cost. That is, the price that you would charge if you were making a large quantity of the same item for the same customer.

Your 'Retail' price is generally at least 2x your base price. That way you can afford to run sales or specials every now and then ad you are still making some money.

The reason people are asking YOU to make something for them is because they cannot do it themselves. And your experience is worth something.

I have many customers in my shop who are not afraid to spend $100, $200 or even $500 for a crocheted shawl or sweater. I can't afford to buy my own work but then I'm not my target customer.

Remember too that a lot of it is 'perceived value'. If you are in business and are selling at Walmart prices then that's the crowd you will continue to attract. But if you want to reach the Neimann Marcus crowd then you need to be priced accordingly.
    Crochetgal on Etsy - Beautiful yarns, affordable prices

18. Likes Maryjane, chefmomster2, Irishjl, Landon liked this post