Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation VA Knitting Group Projects

{FONT][Our group needs a sponsor to help it get yarn for knitting projects. We are currently making a US flag to felt and hang in the lobby of the VA Hospital in New York City. We want to provide knitted items for the vets in the VA Nursing Home in St. Albans, NY and the Homeless program here. If you know of any person or firm that might help us provide supplies for these projects, please tell me. Thanks. FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT]
    Last edited by Dsynr; 09-07-2012 at 11:16 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,

Have you thought about asking local businesses in the area of your local VA? This would probably be one of the best ways to get help for local charity events.

Please Note: Just so you know, in the forums it is not really allowed to ask members directly for donations. However, they can provide you with some ideas in how to ask other businesses for help, ect.

Post Thanks / Like
    Also, if you have a near by Wal-Mart, they have grants you can ask for to do local charity work. Usually, you will ask at the service desk. They give money to local charities and noteworthy work. Also, the local newspaper is good to ask to see if they will place something in the paper to get others to help you in your area.

Post Thanks / Like
    I hope no one thought this was a solicitation for money, because it most certainly was NOT. I am seeking advice on how to get grants and/or other sponsorship for our program.
    We have to be extremely careful how we proceed because we are bound by VA's policies and regulations and by laws, etc.
    Supplies for our current project were paid for by a grant obtained by the diligent work of our Federal Womens Program coordinator.
    Last edited by Dsynr; 09-20-2012 at 06:52 AM. Reason: additional information

Post Thanks / Like
    Great- let us know how it turns out for you. Have you done a search online for available grants? Just a thought for you.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would suggest that you talk to one of your local yarn shops. Many would be willing to assist you in such a project.

Or if you are a registered 501c(3) charity, some of the yarn companies may be able to help. But you would need to contact them directly.
    Crochetgal on Etsy - Beautiful yarns, affordable prices

7. Likes Barbara G. liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crochetgal View Post
    I would suggest that you talk to one of your local yarn shops. Many would be willing to assist you in such a project.
    Or if you are a registered 501c(3) charity, some of the yarn companies may be able to help. But you would need to contact them directly.
    Thank you for your suggestions. However, the VA is a government agency---not a charity; so we are bound by laws, most importantly the Privacy Act of 1974 AND specific VA regularions which makes it essential that we are very circumspect about how we approach satisfying this need. I HAVE enquired of the yarn companies what their requirements for yarn donations are and hope to hear from someone soon. Lion Brand has a store on W 15 Street that I have visited; and I have enquired online with others. I have also contacted a local vets organization to determine what their requirements are for sponsorship.
    Hope springs eternal!
    Last edited by Dsynr; 09-20-2012 at 06:52 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know if this would be permissible, however you could enlist the help of some local community service centers or senior centers to help. I belong to a "Homemakers"(*) group in Nassau County (part of Cornell Cooperative Home Extension) and one year we made some no-sew fleece lap-ghans and the next year we made no-sew fleece shawls for the VA hospital in Northport.
    [(*) Homemakers groups are teaching and community service groups and there are quite a few chapters in Nassau and Suffolk Counties in N.Y. I think there might be some n some other states.]