Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Post Thanks / Like

Question about Felting

I was wondering if anyone could give me some information about felting. My friend gave me some 100% wool (in a lovely pink). I have decided I want to make one of my bags. How much does the yarn shrink after washing? Do I was the bag in the washing machine or by hand? Is the dryer the thing that does the shrinking? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    I made a felted bag not too long ago! I would say it came out a little more than half the size! But I only put it through the wash once! I used my washing machine, very hot water and put in a few towels with it! I let it air dry, I put in a few crumpled up plastic bags in it to help keep the shape! Hope that helps!

3. Likes Barbara G. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wool does NOT go in the dryer...I would handwash myself....

5. Likes Barbara G. liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation

Felting is making a project at least twice the size and shrinking it by using hot water/dryer, etc., or using a process called "needle felting".
    Our VA Hospital, Manhattan, Knitting Group is making an American Flag to hang in the Lobby. When all the strips are put together, we will felt it and block it. I made one stripe, 15 feet long.
    BTW, if you know of any firm that would sponsor our group [We want to make knitted items for the veterans in the St. albans VA Nursing Home and the Homeless Program] please tell me.
    Last edited by Barbara G.; 09-07-2012 at 03:03 PM. Reason: moderator reworded reply

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsynr View Post
    Felting is making a project at least twice the size and shrinking it by using hot water/dryer, etc., or using a process called "needle felting".
    Our VA Hospital, Manhattan, Knitting Group is making an American Flag to hang in the Lobby. When all the strips are put together, we will felt it and block it. I made one stripe, 15 feet long.
    BTW, if you know of any firm that would sponsor our group [We want to make knitted items for the veterans in the St. albans VA Nursing Home and the Homeless Program] please tell me.
    Hello,

Have you thought about asking local businesses in the area of your local VA? This would probably be one of the best ways to get help for local charity events.

Please Note:
    Just so you know, in the forums it is not really allowed to ask members directly for donations. However, they can provide you with some ideas in how to ask other businesses for help, ect.