Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Post Thanks / Like

Post crocheting in the round

[I am a new crocheter and everytime I try to crochet a dishcloth or doily that requires starting in the round my pattern gets smaller and smaller and I end up with a glass warmer. What am I doing wrong? Norma

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Norma! I think you should make one extra crochet at the end of line and count stitches. It will help you

Post Thanks / Like
    Howdie and welcome....either your tention is too tight or you are missing a stitch in the end of the round. If you think you are missing the stitch, for a little while "mark" you last stitch. Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Norma and welcome! Sounds like you should loosen up on the tension! And to keep track of the last stitch of each row I mark it with a small safety pin! That way you don't loose or gain stitches! So glad you joined us!

5. Likes greenmeadow liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, Norma!!

I have had that same problem, I am very new to crocheting and would get so upset and frustrated because I would work hard and my piece and the ends would be all wonky. Now, I take a safety pin or bobby pin, whatever you think will stay put and that way I see where my previous row ended. I was missing that before and my rows were all uneven. The row you are working on is built from the row before it, am I making sense? So, if the previous row isn't proper, the work that follows won't be either. You are doing the turn chain also, right? The stitches that are the bridge to the following row, that is your turning chain. That gives you the height to crochet the following row.
    I really hope this helps you! I am really repeating what the messages before me are saying.
    Happy Crocheting!!
    Landon

7. Likes greenmeadow liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Crocheting in the Round

To increase stitches properly on every round, you should increase by one stitch for every stitch; i.e., go from 1 stitch per stitch, such as 12 stitches, to 2 stitches per stitch (24 stitches); on next round, go to 1 stitch in 1st stitch; then 2 stitches in next stitch, etc. for a total of 36 stitches. In other words. the second row is twice as long as the first row, the third row is 3 times as long as the first row, the fourth row is 4 times as long as the first row, etc.

9. Likes CupieDolll, greenmeadow, thrdsnpnt, Landon liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you, patsg! I always get stuck after the third row when I want to make a large round and then end up doing a spiral instead. Your explanation made all the add-ons clearer to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Make sure you use a stitch marker to count your rows. I use a small safety pin and it works fine. I am compulsive about stitch counting to make sure I am following the pattern correctly. It sounds like you are off on your stitch county.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks to everyone. I will let you know when I crochet my next dishcloth how it turns out.

Post Thanks / Like
    The first time I read Patsg's message, it went completely over my head, LOL Today I re-read it s-l-o-w-l-y and it makes sense!!!
    Oh, the additional stitches will make it round and FLAT. I have done some crochet rounds but mine ended up cylinder like. Oh, I get it now!