Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: thread sizes

Post Thanks / Like

thread sizes

I'm new at this part now I'm doing different projects.

what is the difference between size 10 thread and 10 oz. or size 4 and 4oz.?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Stacy! Unfortunately I do not know answer

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Stacy and welcome! Size 10 is how big around the thread is-you know how thick! 10 oz is the weight of the whole skein of yarn! The same with the size 4 and 4 ozs! Most patterns will tell you what thickness of yarn you need and how much yarn you will need, usually in ounces(oz). Hope that answers you question!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Maryjane. I'm hoping this Skirt will turn out with size 10 thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    Can we help you with the pattern? If you post a picture, we will have an idea what it looks like!

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, does the pattern call for size 10 thread?

Post Thanks / Like
    I've always wondered why they give sizes in ozs. Yards seem to help me more and I'm continually having to figure out yardage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maryjane View Post
    Hi Stacy and welcome! Size 10 is how big around the thread is-you know how thick! 10 oz is the weight of the whole skein of yarn! The same with the size 4 and 4 ozs! Most patterns will tell you what thickness of yarn you need and how much yarn you will need, usually in ounces(oz). Hope that answers you question!

Post Thanks / Like
    Anaisa, No I does not, the pattern only tells you to purchase 18 balls of their Cotton floss and then how big it is going to be when done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmmm...cotton floss of a certain brand right? If you can google the name brand and see if it tells you what size; then you can compare prices; Auntie Lidia is usually reasonable....Wal-mart carries that brand too....but if you need 18 balls; Joann's and Micheals has a large skein that costs about 15 dollars....I use the 50% coupon for that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Stacy View Post
    I'm new at this part now I'm doing different projects.

what is the difference between size 10 thread and 10 oz. or size 4 and 4oz.?
    Hi Stacy! Welcome to the wonderful world of crochet!

Crochet threads (also known as crochet cottons) come in various sizes from 3 to 100 with size 3 being the thickest and size 100 being about the size of a sewing thread.

Most crochet threads are used for things such as tablecloths, doilies, table runners, and some lighter weight clothing items.

The most common thread is size 10 which is also known in the industry as 'bedspread cotton' because for many years, that's primarily what it was used for.

Yarns on the other hand are given a 'weight symbol' or 'weight class' from 0 thru 6 with 0 being the finest (lace weight) and 6 being the heaviest (super bulky weight)

Here's a quick breakdown
    class 0 - lace weight - about the size of a #10 crochet cotton

class 1 - super fine - also known as sock weight, fingering weight, baby weight

class 2 - fine - also known as sport or baby weight

class 3 - Light - double knitting, light worsted weight

class 4 - medium - worsted weight

class 5 - bulky - chunky yarns, craft yarns, rug yarns

class 6 - super bulky - bulky, roving

Here is a table showing all the weight classes, the approximate gauge and hook recommendations
    Standard Yarn Weight System |

Most yarns are sold by the ounce so a pattern may call for 6 oz of a #4 yarn so they are looking for a worsted weight.

Its been my experience that its much better to look at the yardage required rather than the number of oz that a pattern states because the weight classes are simply guidelines.

It is possible to purchase 2 4 oz balls of two different #4 yarns and end up with 100 yards in one ball and 150 yards in the other. So if your pattern called for 125 yards, you would have enough with the second ball but would run out with the first.

I hope this helps to clear things up.
    Crochetgal on Etsy - Beautiful yarns, affordable prices