Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7

Post Thanks / Like

yarn storage/organization

I have so much yarn I'm trying to organize it so I can see what I have. I'm asking for ideas how to set up and also have one I've come up with and one I saw somewhere this summer online. The one I saw was to use hanging sweater cubicles, I already had 3 with`6 cubbies and so far it works pretty good. My epiphany was to use the openended slack holders to put thread balls and even skeins you can get through the middle of. What do you think of this? I have a couple that even close so the balls won't fall off. My quandry is how to organize the different types of yarn. Cotton I'm putting together, obviously, but the others-should I go by season, or fiber, or what? I have quite a bit with multiple fiber content, which do I focus on? I have several bins, some yarn will stay in there, probably out of season. It's hard for me to move the bins around so I'm trying to come up with other ways to access my goodies. Thanks!

2. Likes Barbara G. liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought the wooden shoe organizers..( they look like a big wooden box with dividers for either each shoe or each pair of shoes depending on size ), one has 25 spaces, the other has 15. I can fit several skeins into each space/compartment. The backing on the organizer holds the yarn in and they stack well as they are made from sturdy wood. I've sorted my yarn by color/weight. This way I know which yarn is the same thickness for using together on a project...and what colors I have. It really is very neat,organized,accessible...and rather colorful..like a wall of art.( I found mine at Target...about $20 each)

4. Likes Barbara G., Maryjane, Carolyn1953 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    AuntyD, thank you for the idea. I'll have to check it out.

Post Thanks / Like
    What types of yarn do you have the most of? If you have mostly fall seasonal colors, then I would create an area for these. Here are a few ideas in how to organize your yarn:

By weight
    By colors
    By seasons
    For baby projects
    Primary colors
    Special yarns

When you grab some yarn, what do you look for first in a yarn you have? The color? The weight?

7. Likes Carolyn1953 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I use those plastic totes to store my yarn. I go by the weight of the yarn to organize it, then sort by color within each group! I also have a box for the odds and ends of yarn that don't fit any catagory or is just a little bit of yarn! Right now that box has the most in it!

9. Likes Carolyn1953 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I store all my yarns in plastic totes. I try to have separate totes for each brand of yarn. When I'm working on a project I tend to use all one brand for one project so that makes it easier to find.

I have a huge metal shelf storage that will hold 10 large tubs. The clear tubs are nice because they not only protect the yarns but because they are clear you can see what's in them without pulling them all off the shelf.
    Crochetgal on Etsy - Beautiful yarns, affordable prices

11. Likes Carolyn1953 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I would sort them by fiber first, then by color. Fiber is important because if you use two different fibers together, when you wash the item, you may have unusual shrinkage that can foul the appearance of your piece. Otherwise, its really a matter of what works best for style of crocheting.