Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Post Thanks / Like

Tunisian crochet

Everybody. I confess I haven't put much time into doing Tunisian/afghan stitch. I'm not sure why it doesn't really appeal to me right now. Has anyone experience with it and can let me know the pros and cons and maybe some encouragement to try it again? I already have the hooks and have seen the videos online. The videos did teach me how to do it, which I hadn't been able to do on my own. Ditto with crochetknit. Maybe it's the idea of having to make two passes to complete a stitch. It really isn't that different from a design that requires multiple rows to complete, I guess. Is it worth the time to master it? For some reason I have a mental resistance to it. Anyone else have the same issue or problem? And while we're at it. How about the Knook? Anyone played with it yet and can tell us how they like it? Is it worth investing in the hooks? I see they have an expanded kit with more hook sizes out. ANY thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,

I have done the tunisian stitch several times and really loved it. The main reason was that I did not have to be so attentive to the counting. I did to some degree, but when finishing up on my row, I did not have to be as concerned with counting. I used a regular length hook when I made a cell phone holder with the stitch. I do know that eventually, it will be a little easier to use the long hooks for bigger projects.

http://crochettalk.com/pictures/757-...ne-holder.html

What do you think is holding you back on this stitch? Was the video difficult to follow? Was it the akwardness of doing the stitch? Figuring out the reason may help you in a new way.

I used a 40% off coupon at Hobby Lobby to purchase the small knook set (I paid around $5 for it at a discount). I am going to work on the crochet challenge some on baby hats, then I thought last night that I would try working with the knook some during the challenge. I have had it for a few weeks or so and have been so busy - I need to challenge myself to take a little time to do this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Barbi. I will try again with the notion of not having to count stitches a bonus. I am going challenge myself to using the tunisian stitch and complete one project by the end of August. Even if it's just a dishrag! I've been trying to learn a new stitch a month. Maybe my resistance is that the basic tunisian stitch is so......plain. I will try to get excited about using colors to pep it up a bit. I know there are other tunisian stitches I can use. I will try to master the basic one first.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolyn1953 View Post
    Thanks Barbi. I will try again with the notion of not having to count stitches a bonus. I am going challenge myself to using the tunisian stitch and complete one project by the end of August. Even if it's just a dishrag! I've been trying to learn a new stitch a month. Maybe my resistance is that the basic tunisian stitch is so......plain. I will try to get excited about using colors to pep it up a bit. I know there are other tunisian stitches I can use. I will try to master the basic one first.
    I am sure you will do just fine! When working on small projects, this stitch can be very quick to use. I would love to see how you do with the stitch. I think making a pot holder with this stitch would be very nice. I have also been meaning to make some potholders. The cheap ones I have from the dollar store always burn my hands - the heat goes right through them!

Post Thanks / Like
    My block was that it looked hard and that I would be all thumbs....I think a pro is that when you make a larger afgan this stitch does make the job faster...also make dish towels to start maybe that will bring you mind to wrap around it....

6. Likes nothingnowhere liked this post