Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Flight Attendant Breastfeeds Passenger's Crying Baby

2. Thanks karenlatlas thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like I am the only person who finds this kind of gross.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wet-nursing was a common practice in the "olden days", usually to aristocrats' babies or the babies of women who could not produce milk.

It certainly saved the day for everyone on that airplane. Baby happy, mother relieved, attendant doing her job to keep things peaceful. Other passengers not having to listen to a screeching child, it's like fingernails on a blackboard.

Wet nursing began as early as 2000 BC and extended until the 20th century. Throughout this time period, wet nursing evolved from an alternative of need (2000 BC) to an alternative of choice (950 BC to 1800 AD). It became a well organized profession with contracts and laws designed to regulate its practice.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2684040/

It is sad, though, that the attendant has a 9 month old baby at home! So, who's feeding that child?

Post Thanks / Like
    I have never cared for the wet nursing thing either. One would not know what the milk provider has eaten and what comes through in the milk. Guess I am just not a fan of sharing breast milk. Baby’s mom has to plan better.

Post Thanks / Like
    One would not know what the milk provider has eaten and what comes through in the milk.

Wet nursing was practiced in societies where everyone pretty much ate the same way. There was no "junk" food available, no BPA-contaminated food. Today, you'd have to hand your child over for feeding to someone whom you trust, whose entire way of life you are familiar with and approve of.