Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Yarn review

Post Thanks / Like

Yarn review

I bought some Bernat Cotton Tot from Hobby Lobby on sale. I'm giving it a thumbs down because my hook doesn't just glide through easily. I have to pull my stitches through. The thing that prompts this review is -- it SHEDS! Yesterday I was wearing a darker shade of pants and noticed all these pieces of fuzz from the yarn. None of my other yarn leave little linties on my clothes.

I'm making this sweter for me and I will continue working on it and wear the sweater, but I won't put it on Etsy as a made to order item.

Ever heard of a "lemon" skein? I just added a new skein to my project and it's okay...stitches are going smoothly, not playing tug with the yarn...so my review was based on that one skein...not necessarily the whole cotton tot line :-D
    Last edited by ooh-lalah; 07-17-2012 at 10:00 AM. Reason: new discovery
    See what Joyce Writes on Yahoo

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the heads up! I,ve never used that yarn! Has anybody else had any problems with it?

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't used that specific yarn, but my two cents is if I am having difficulty pulling through loops due to the yarn, I make the loops bigger; and it is great for a stay at home sweater....or sick days afgans.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ooh-lalah View Post
    Ever heard of a "lemon" skein? I just added a new skein to my project and it's okay...stitches are going smoothly, not playing tug with the yarn...so my review was based on that one skein...not necessarily the whole cotton tot line :-D
    Whenever I get a 'lemon' skein I'll contact the manufacturer and report it to them. Usually they will either replace it or give me a credit towards my next order.

In my Etsy shop if a customer gets a bad skein all I ask is that they return it for credit.
    Crochetgal on Etsy - Beautiful yarns, affordable prices

Post Thanks / Like
    The only "lemon" yarn I found was a material that was nylon and waterproof. I made a cape for my sister-in-law with it in 1972 and I never used it again!! It kept splitting on me and one strand must have been made up of 20 twisted strands. The hook kept splitting it plus, it 'shed'. I would wind up with white 'lint' all over me. I have never seen it on the market since then.

Post Thanks / Like
    My experience with a lemon skein was an enormous amount of knotted joins in a pistachio skein of Caron's SImply Soft. I ended up giving it to the cats! Must have been a one off because I haven't had trouble with this yarn since.

Post Thanks / Like
    I wonder if all cotton yarns are like that to a point. I just used a cotton yarn for the first time and found it more difficult to work with. It hasn't shed, but I did have to work harder to pull the stitches through. I do like the end results, however. Have others had difficulties with cotton yarns?

Post Thanks / Like
    I've tried a lot of different cotton yarns. I have found Sugar and Cream and Peaches and Cream firmer and with more drag on my hook than others. Not that it's bad thing. I usually get used to it after a few rows. I like these better for purses and toys and dishrags, which need a sturdier yarn. I prefer softer yarns like elann Sonata, or Nashua Natural Focus for shawls and scarves and facecloths. Every line has their own cotton/cotton blends. That's why I usually like to feel before I buy, but the different yarns you can order online are easily assessed as to what they would be good for.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had to give up on a baby blanket I was making with Cotton Tots yarn. My hands and wrists were ready to give out because of so much drag on my hook. There are other cotton yarns out there that are much softer and nicer to work with ("I Love this Cotton" (all cotton) at Hobby Lobby and KnitPicks "Shine" -- 60% pima cotton/40% Modal beech fiber). In fact, the prettiest, most luxurious feeling baby blanket I have made was with KnitPicks "Shine." I'm sure there are other good cotton yarns available too, but these in particular, are especially good and work up beautifully.

Post Thanks / Like
    Greatexp, I think it all depends on the type of cotton yarn you are using.

I've had people rave about the organic cotton yarns that I sell because of their wonderful drape and feel when working.

I've also had many people who love to work with my Creme de la Creme cotton yarns. Its one of my best sellers!
    Crochetgal on Etsy - Beautiful yarns, affordable prices