Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  11
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Post Thanks / Like

Cotton or Acrylic for scrubbers?

I've never used a crochet scrubber. I have several friends who have asked me to make some. I have several fun patterns to choose from. My probelm, some are done in cotton and some in acrylic. Which yarn is better for scrubbers used for household purposes?
    Also, any tips on scrubber construction? I noticed the hook size varied from E-H,
    regardless of yarn type.

2. Likes Carynjoyb liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,

Cotton crochet scrubbers will allow for deep cleaning and provide a surface which is safe for all surfaces. Acrylic crochet scrubbers would be a little more abrasive, I think. We will have some more responses from members. I personally have not worked with acrylic crochet yarn. Making crochet scrubbers, or scrubbies, is on my list of things to make!

I would love to hear more about your experience. You are also welcome to post pictures in the forums, too! Looking forward to hearing more responses...

Post Thanks / Like
    The scrubbies that I have a pattern for call for nylon net. I also have a picture of a dish cloth with the center circle crocheted out of strips made from the plastic bags that produce comes in. I looked yesterday for the full pattern but couldn't find it on the site. It would not be hard for even a beginer to incorporate some of this material in the center of a dishcloth. I have some leftover small granny squares that someone gave me. I use those for scrubbing and find them very effective. Otherwise I make dishcloths out of cotton because acrylics make them too bulky to get inside of glasses, etc. Hope this helps.

5. Likes Barbara G., angie22, Sonnie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would suggest using cotton! I've made scrubbies with nylon yarn and they don't hold up as well!

7. Likes angie22 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I use cotton with nylon netting (tulle) for the scrubbies that I make. I just crochet them together (cotton and tulle) and it becomes a very useful kitchen tool. Great for calphalon cookware as it won't scratch and sturdy because it's cotton. If they get dirty I just throw them in with the washer when I do a load of towels.

9. Likes Mimi Hotrod, Royan, TallGirl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Most of the 'scrubbies' that you will find will be of the nylon type, similar to what you purchase in the shops.

A cotton scrubbie washcloth probably won't have the same scrubbing power that a nylon would have.
    Crochetgal on Etsy - Beautiful yarns, affordable prices

Post Thanks / Like
    Needleloft makes an abrasive scrubbing kind of yarn and I don't know what kind of yarn it is. You can get it on larger rolls or in 10-yard amounts, just right for a flat coaster-size scrubbie. I used to make them and sell them at craft fairs for $1, and that they're "tough enough for pots, and gentle enough for your face." I use mine for exfoliating my face.

I don't know if Walmart still carries that yarn. I ordered some from Needleloft and bought some at Walmart...like 39 cents for 10 yards.
    Last edited by ooh-lalah; 07-16-2012 at 07:13 PM. Reason: add info
    See what Joyce Writes on Yahoo

Post Thanks / Like
    I have made them from cotton, acrylic, netting, and netting and cotton together. I prefer the netting and cotton together. They work great on non-stick pans and also in the bath or shower. Just throw them in with the towels in the laundry. I hang them up to dry rather than put them in the dryer. Hope this helps.

13. Likes Mimi Hotrod liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    What a great idea! I
    ll take a look. Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have made over 20 scrubbies and only use cotton but I first start with a knitted or crocheted center of the heavy netting. I buy about 1 yard of a neutral color (it usualy is about 72 inches wide) then cut it across about 1 1/2 inches wide and then use a larger hook or knitting needle to crochet or knit the netting making it as big as I want. I then add only cotton yarn, as it dries faster, and is less abrasive,. unles soyu want to u se it to scrub out pots, but even then with the finishes they put on pots today, I prefer to use the cotton and netting.

16. Likes Maryjane liked this post