Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Post Thanks / Like

Red face How do you calculate the multiple stiches in a pattern?

Hi, I'm trying to figure out the multiple stiches in patterns that I want to size to my needs. Some patterns tell you, but most do not. On the instructions it looks like this:
    Chain Multiples: 6 plus 1. I hope someone can help me so I'll be able to make lap robes from a afghan pattern.

Post Thanks / Like
    Diana, I hope I'm explaining this right. Multiples of 6 means to crochet either 6,12,18,24,36, etc. A number of stitches that are easily divided by 6. Then, you crochet 1 more stitch. I hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Irishjl gave you a good response. I just want to add a few examples.

Your number of stitches can be 6 plus 1, 12 plus 1, 18 plus 1, etc. The main number of stitches must be a multiple of 6, so , for instance, you cannot use 20 plus 1. But you could use 24 plus 1.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks to both of you, I really appreciate your quick answers. The only thing is can this method be used for any pattern? In other words, if the pattern calls for 199 chains, how do I know how many chains I need to make the afghan pattern the size of a smaller lap robe? How do I make the 199 chain number to a number that equals 6,12,18, etc.? It's hard for me to explain and I'm not good with figures. I hope I haven't confused you all too much. Again, thanks for the help. Diana

Post Thanks / Like
    Diana,

It's all about math. Your directions should tell you the expected number of stitches per inch depending on the hook and yarn you are using. This is called the gauge. However, each of us crochet a little differently so there can be some variation.

Take the yarn you plan to use for the baby blanket and experiment with it. Make a chain of 12 inches and sc back and forth until it's at least 4 inches tall. Now MEASURE. Use a ruler so you can count the number of stitched between any two numbers on the ruler. For example lay the rule at one end and count the number of stitches between 4 and 5. That's you guage : the number of stitches per inch when you single crochet with that yarn and that hook. It should be the same no matter what two numbers you count between.

Next hold the ruler vertically next to the stitches so up can count how many rows make up an inch in height.

You can do the same with dc or any speciality stitch. As a rule the dc will be twice as tall as the sc, but the same width.

Once you know the stitches per inch you just multiple to get the desired width or length. For example if you going to make the blanket 15 inches wide and you crochet 5 stitches per inch, you multiply 15 x 5 = 75 stitches. As you crochet back and forth along the rows of the width you're creating the length of the blanket. Stop crocheting when the blanket reaches the length you want.

Just take a half hour and practice. It will be time well spent.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Mixpixlix; 07-14-2012 at 09:39 PM.

6. Likes libertylady64, Sonnie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mixpixlix, what can I say, thank you so much for taking the time to explain something that I have had trouble with since I started crocheting when I was 18. I will save your instructions and use them everytime I start a new project. As you said it comes down to math and that has not been a strong point in my life. I stay away from patterns for clothing, I have tried, but it's either to small or to large and I donate it to charity. I never understood how to measure to get the gauge. You have open a lot more options that I can crochet. Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!! Di

Post Thanks / Like
    You are very welcome.

Post Thanks / Like
    Would the pattern still work out this way?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, as long as she moves up to the next multiple (6+1) if the gauge is too tight, to down 6 stitches if it's too loose.

With time all crocheters learn their gauge with various yarns and hooks. Then she/he can decide to increase/decrease stitches or change hooks.

Post Thanks / Like
    What if you don't know your multiple? How do you find out?