Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Post Thanks / Like

I'm in a pickle...

I received my new wooden hooks and have started my blanket, no practice. First off, I am using a 3-strand yarn. It's a bit harder to work with and took a few minutes to get the feel of it--not a problem. I didn't like the feel of my new wooden hook so am sticking with my aluminum hook. My square is not as bulky as my practice squares and is six inches rather than five as in the pattern--still, I am happy with that. My pickle? For the life of me I don't know how to count my rows? I will post a picture tomorrow, there is not enough light at the moment.

2. Likes kl1000 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucie View Post
    I received my new wooden hooks and have started my blanket, no practice. First off, I am using a 3-strand yarn. It's a bit harder to work with and took a few minutes to get the feel of it--not a problem. I didn't like the feel of my new wooden hook so am sticking with my aluminum hook. My square is not as bulky as my practice squares and is six inches rather than five as in the pattern--still, I am happy with that. My pickle? For the life of me I don't know how to count my rows? I will post a picture tomorrow, there is not enough light at the moment.
    Hi Lucie, Look at this video to see how to count rows.

Hope this helps,
    Spoula

4. Likes Nova55 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by spoula View Post
    Hi Lucie, Look at this video to see how to count rows.

Hope this helps,
    Spoula
    Hi Spoula, when all is said and done--should I wind up with 22 rows? Do I start and stop my count at the red or green arrows? I think I have 22 rows?

I'm in a pickle...-rows-jpg

I'm in a pickle...-001-jpg
    Last edited by Lucie; 09-15-2018 at 05:42 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I found a better picture of pattern cover on package: It shows 3 ply yarn and size of blanket should be 32 x 42 inches. I am doing this using Bernat Baby Sport yarn. I do not understand the symbols on the label (US6==22 Sts 30 R, US G/6=16 Sc 19 R.

I'm in a pickle...-yarn-jpg)
    Last edited by Lucie; 09-15-2018 at 06:18 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Lucie, I can only answer by looking at your pattern instructions. They want you to complete row 22 then you will slip stitch across from right to left to bind off or fasten off. You will be done with your square.

In the Tunisian stitch if you are right handed you go across from right to left to create the bar and back to close it that should be row 22. Now you go back across from right to left to lock in all your stitches by slip stitching across and don't forget the last 2 bars will be fasten off together.

In answer to your question yes, you will end up with 22 rows. (count the bars \ that look like this or this |.
    You know it takes 2 rows to complete but each completion counts as a row.
    Spoula
    Last edited by spoula; 09-15-2018 at 08:33 AM. Reason: Spacing

Post Thanks / Like
    Lucie,
    The symbols are for knitting needles and crochet hooks. These are recommended suggestions for the type yarn you have.

You need to read your pattern to see what gauge they want you to make. The back of yarn symbols and needle and hook sizes are suggestions only, everybody crochets and knits differently some tight and some loose. It is just a starting point for you to consider.

The (US6=22 Sts 30 R), is saying you can use a size US 6 (knitting needle size) in knit and purl rows to reach the gauge for this kind of yarn. They are suggesting that you should be able to get 22 stitches to an inch and do this for 30 rows.

The (US G/6=16 Sc 19 R). is the crochet hook and you should make a swatch of single crochets for 19 rows. For your swatch to measure the gauge you should be able to get 16 single crochets in an inch and do this for 19 rows.

Hope this helps,
    Spoula
    Last edited by spoula; 09-15-2018 at 08:55 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Lucie, I can only answer by looking at your pattern instructions. They want you to complete row 22 then you will slip stitch across from right to left to bind off or fasten off. You will be done with your square.

In the Tunisian stitch if you are right handed you go across from right to left to create the bar and back to close it that should be row 22. Now you go back across from right to left to lock in all your stitches by slip stitching across and don't forget the last 2 bars will be fasten off together.

In answer to your question yes, you will end up with 22 rows. (count the bars \ that look like this or this |.
    You know it takes 2 rows to complete but each completion counts as a row.
    Spoula
    I counted l's and had 22. I did the slip stitch and now have 23 l's?
    Last edited by Lucie; 09-15-2018 at 10:00 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Lucie,
    In my post I said this:

Now you go back across from right to left to lock in all your stitches by slip stitching across and don't forget the last 2 bars will be fasten off together.

At the end of the row you will bind off the last 2 together that makes 22.
    Spoula

Post Thanks / Like
    Lucie,
    In my post I said this:

Now you go back across from right to left to lock in all your stitches by slip stitching across and don't forget the last 2 bars will be fasten off together.

At the end of the row you will bind off the last 2 together that makes 22.
    Spoula
    Spoula, I did slip stitch to lock in the stitches, including binding off the last 2 together. When I got done and counted my rows I would up with 23 l's instead of the 22 l's?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Lucie,
    I reread the pattern instructions and it states repeat row 2 until you have 22 rows then slip stitch to fasten off. I don't think the last slip stitch row counts you are just closing the loops and tightening the last row.

Spoula

13. Thanks Lucie thanked for this post